Excellus BlueCross BlueShield has received approval from the New York State Department of Health to reopen Family Health Plus and HMOBlue Option products to new membership in Oswego County effective February 1, 2012.
HMOBlue Option is the Medicaid Managed Care plan offered by Excellus BlueCross BlueShield for individuals who are eligible for Medicaid. Eligibility for HMOBlue Option is based on household size and income. Individuals who receive Supplemental Security Income and meet certain financial requirements may also qualify.
Family Health Plus is a New York state-sponsored managed care health insurance program for adults whose incomes are too high to qualify for Medicaid. To qualify for Family Health Plus, individuals must:
• Be a resident of New York state,
• Be uninsured,
• Have a total gross monthly income that does not exceed the income limitations of the program,
• Be an adult between the ages of 19 and 64,
• Be ineligible for Medicare and Medicaid.
Excellus BlueCross BlueShield, in partnership with the Monroe Plan for Medical Care, offers a choice of 9,000 doctors, specialists and hospitals for medical care through HMOBlue Option and Family Health Plus products. Both plans offer comprehensive coverage for vital services (copays may apply for certain services), including:
• Care by a primary care provider who belongs to HMOBlue Option/Family Health Plus;
• Specialist visits referred by your doctor;
• Emergency room services;
• Laboratory/radiology and other diagnostic tests and treatments;
• OB/GYN and maternity care;
• Mental health and alcohol/substance abuse services (some limits on visits apply);
• Physical, speech and occupational therapy (some limits on visits apply);
• Eye exam and eyeglasses;
• Hearing services;
• Medical supplies and equipment;
• Home health services;
• Transportation for medical care, depending on the county in which you live;
• HIV testing, pre- and post-test counseling as part of a family planning visit;
• Family planning and reproductive health services;
• Prescription drugs (copays and some limits may apply);
• Dental coverage (Family Health Plus only).
Excellus BlueCross BlueShield currently offers Child Health Plus in Oswego County. Child Health Plus is a plan that offers free or very low-cost health insurance for children ages newborn to 19 who live in New York state.
For more information on HMOBlue Option or Family Health Plus, call Excellus BlueCross BlueShield toll-free at 1 (800) 716-4885 (TDD users 1-800-421-1220) and follow this link to print an application form. Excellus BlueCross BlueShield staff members can help you complete the application and obtain any other paperwork to finish the enrollment process. Applicants must provide proof of age, income and address.
To determine if you qualify for no- or low-cost insurance, call 1 (800) 716-4885. For eligibility rules, go to nyhealth.gov/health_care.
# # #
Excellus BlueCross BlueShield, a nonprofit independent licensee of the BlueCross BlueShield Association, is part of a family of companies that finances and delivers vital health care services to 1.8 million people across upstate New York. Excellus BlueCross BlueShield provides access to high-quality, affordable health coverage, including valuable health-related resources that our members use every day, such as cost-saving prescription drug discounts and wellness tracking tools in our Step Up program. To learn more, visit excellusbcbs.com.