Go to ...
RSS Feed

September 18, 2018

ALDI Confirms Fulton Store Will Prevail Despite Contractor Abandoning Demolition


FULTON, NY – A representative of the global supermarket chain, Aldi, has confirmed that the impending store location in Fulton will prevail despite the city’s demolition contractor backing out of the commitment to demolish the former Nestles site in its entirety.

“We will still pursue the Fulton, NY location with plans for a grand opening in late fall,” said Aldi representative Aaron Sumida, Tully Division Vice President.

Fulton Mayor Ronald Woodward Sr. was adamant that Aldi’s interest had not waivered despite recently developed news of the contractor, Infinity Enterprises, backing out of their commitment to demolish the former Nestles site of Fulton and he remains optimistic of the project’s future.

Infinity agreed to clear the 24 acre site located at 555 S. Fourth St. in October of 2015, offering to complete the project at no cost to the city, only rights to all salvageable material on the site.

This became one of the issues that caused the abrupt stop to the project after 75% of the buildings on the site had been taken down, according to Mayor Woodward.

“It was a combination of two things,” Woodward explained. “First, the bid was based on reselling the scrap steel within the property, the cost for that is the lowest it’s ever been so it’s no longer financially beneficial to him. Second, his asbestos license ran out at the end of April. He’s reapplied but has not yet cleared anything.”

As per the original deal, Infinity began the project with priority on the roughly 2 acre site designated for Aldi on the corner of Fay and South Fourth streets. The contractor has abandoned the project after having removed all buildings from the Aldi site.

The remaining work to ensure the site is build ready for Aldi includes removing debris left on the site and bringing the site to grade.

City officials are connecting with local trucking contractors to accept bids to remove the debris from site and bring it to the landfill, as well as negotiating with National Contracting to bring the site to grade.

The city had previously purchased “a couple hundred thousand” dollars worth of fill at a discounted price from Infinity Enterprises to be used to bring the site to grade. The crushed brick can be used as fill for the parking area intended for Aldi while gravel will be used as fill for the building after having been screened.

Woodward said the costs associated with new contractors could be taken off the sale price for Aldi just as the sale price was previously reduced $100,000 after discovering that Aldi will need to purchase pilings, bringing the sale price to $350,000.

However, the city recently bonded for $700,000 for demolition of city owned properties that could be used for the former Nestles site as well.

Mayor Woodward is hopeful to have received all bids by the end of the week, noting that there has been interest from some local contractors as well as some contractors that are not local.

At this point, the focus remains on developing the site designated to Aldi before moving on to the remaining buildings left standing on the 24 acre site.

One remaining structure, a building to the south that does not line State Route 481, may remain standing as Woodward said he believes it to be in usable condition given some work.

However, the remaining building that does line State Route 481 must be taken down within three months after the contract closes with Aldi, a project that will be bid separately at that time, Woodward said.

Ultimately, Mayor Woodward is not displeased with the course of demolition and is optimistic of the site’s continued demolition.

“If we had paid this contractor four million dollars, people would be happy but because he offered to do it for free, people will complain. I always question the way of thinking when it comes to that. We are the only community around that has taken on a project of this size. I couldn’t see 24 acres of vacant buildings just sitting for 20 more years, that’s not good for the city,” he said.

Sumida and Woodward both confirm that at this time the contract between Aldi and the city of Fulton has not yet been amended but plans to construct a store in 2017 are still under way.

“At the end of the day, we will have a nice, new store on the tax rolls that will bring a few jobs and give the east side of the city a grocery store option,” Woodward said.

My location
Get Directions

Tags: , , ,

11 Responses “ALDI Confirms Fulton Store Will Prevail Despite Contractor Abandoning Demolition”

  1. IM Watching
    May 8, 2017 at 10:44 pm

    So let me get this straight we paid them 200,000 dollars plus I thought it was 300,000 to buy fill material from our own site from the contractor who probably cherry picked the site for the best salvageable material.

    Who didn’t see this coming, these bids will bankrupt the city finally and then we can downsize everything in town and finally stop pushing the cost of the Mayor and his administrations bad judgement onto the taxpayers.
    ALDI’s smells a sweet deal that is why they are still in it. How about we sell the whole mess to a Commercial Property developer and get the city out of the real estate development business once and for all. Bad deal after bad deal is what I’ve watched go on here.

  2. May 9, 2017 at 5:33 am

    County buy it…bigger jail? Hub for new county wide services? Or maybe that inland port no one in onadaga county wants!!!!

  3. AJ Stephany
    May 9, 2017 at 7:46 am

    We have a site ready for occupation in Lima, NY. It is the site of a former Big M grocery store followed by Save A Lot. We are in need of a quality store like Aldi’s in our Village.

  4. chris fitzgerald
    May 9, 2017 at 10:10 am

    here we go again,it seems to be a repeat performance from are city offices,same old song and dance,well need i say the year is 2017,the days of swing music stopped years ago,mayor Barlow i commend you for all you are doing for your city,is there any chance you can come run mayberry?are horses are tired,are carts all have square tires on them ,we are in deep ,deep manure,we dont have a tractor to pull us out,they tell us is the money thing,how did they do it back when we had to walk to school both way up hill,c,mon guys how much have we spent just to satisfy aldis,really ,cant wait for the wife to retire,we are outta here,just like so many others,

  5. eyeonfulton
    May 9, 2017 at 10:46 am

    IM Watching: I said that a long time ago. Give the property to a developer and no cost. Let them clean it up and develop the property. Give them a tax break for 10 years and we collect the sales tax revenue. I do not understand why we are in the real estate business. This is a complete mess and the tax payers should be at the next meeting. I saw this coming. No bid bond… The city is falling apart. May as well shut off the lights.
    P.S. I hear Aldi was looking at the former Raynor Ford on Rt 3.

  6. Jeff
    May 9, 2017 at 1:46 pm

    You know somthing just use dynamite to blow it to the ground. then clean the area wouldn’t it have been faster and more efficient.
    Also i would like to thank aldis for holding out on this area because if it was me i would have been out of this deal along time ago.

  7. KLL
    May 9, 2017 at 6:37 pm

    I’ve Never seen a city so excited for 6 or 7 Aldi jobs-ugh.

    Oh yes, don’t forget to raise our already sky high taxes that we pay to live in this city where everyday is a winner for the-DSS clients only.

    Way to go Mr. Mayor, keep up the great work.

  8. joe
    May 9, 2017 at 7:49 pm

    The mayor fails to mention how much rental fee money the city hasin the equipment he used to take the buildings down that was supposed to be free and the damage to the equipment that he did the city had to pay for but again that was free right and why is it the citys problem the price of steel is down should been done a little sooner when prices were up then I am sure inifinitywill get his portion of that 700 thousand because the mayor will have him take the houses down to good luck

  9. Fulton Resident
    May 10, 2017 at 1:25 pm

    sales tax goes to the county does not stay in the city we are only alotted a portion.

  10. SICKOFFULTON
    May 11, 2017 at 2:26 pm

    It is still revenue. I just heard today that the workers destroyed the CAT machine they were using. How much is that going to cost the tax payers?

  11. elizabeth
    May 12, 2017 at 9:56 am

    i grew up in oswego new york how can anyone complain because that poor contractor could not finish job it was done for free rejoice in the free work and hire a paid contractor to finish the job be grateful for what was done at no cost no wonder people dont help people any more give your best for free to have someone complain

More Stories From Fulton Daily News

%d bloggers like this: