;

Amanda’s Law Starts Feb. 22

OSWEGO, NY – An important New York State Law goes into effect Feb. 22, and it could be a lifesaver for many.

Amanda’s Law is named after Amanda Hansen. The 16-year-old West Seneca, NY, girl died of carbon monoxide poisoning on Jan. 17, 2009, while at a sleepover at a friend’s home.

A malfunctioning boiler that emitted carbon monoxide is the probable cause of her death.

This law changes the requirements of location and the number of detectors needed in residential occupancies in New York State, both existing and new construction that have an appliance, device,  or any type of source that may emit carbon monoxide.

This law requires you to have a carbon monoxide detector within each dwelling unit or sleeping unit where a carbon monoxide source is located.

There are different regulations depending on the date of construction.

“Realistically, we will never know how many lives that are saved by this law.  It is our hope that everyone will understand the seriousness of this ‘silent killer’ and make this an immediate priority,” said Jeffrey McCrobie, first assistant chief of the Oswego Fire Department. “Even after the installation of these detectors,  maintenance to ensure that they are constantly in working order is just as important.”

For more details, visit:

http://www.dos.stateny.us/code/coalarm.htm

For more information on carbon monoxide, visit:

http://www.health.state.ny.us/environmental/emergency/weather/carbon_monoxide