OSWEGO – The Oswego City-County Youth Bureau is partnering with the city of Oswego to host the 30th annual tree lighting event at Oswego Civic Plaza from 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Nov. 25. The theme of this year’s tree-lighting is “An Oswego Christmas.”
A full day of family activities is scheduled, including live reindeer, photo opportunities inside an inflatable snow globe, a children’s parade, pictures with Santa, and ending with fireworks over the river.
The children’s parade, led by the Oswego City Fire Department and Oswego City Police Department, will start at 2 p.m. at Mother Earth Baby on West Fifth Street. The parade route will continue down West Fifth Street to Oneida and end at Civic Plaza.
Details for the event are posted on “An Oswego Christmas” Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/513646158971396.
Schedule of activities at Civic Plaza:
– 10 a.m.– noon. Scavenger hunt at downtown businesses for kids up to age 12. Call the youth bureau at 315-349-3451 to register children. Details will be posted on the Facebook page.
– 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Toys for Tots, Oswego Elks Club
– 1-2 p.m. Honor Choir from Riley School
– 2-3 p.m. Kay Miracle sings Christmas songs
– 3-3:30 p.m. Oswego Players
– 3:30-4 p.m. Theater De Jour
– 4-4:30 p.m. Creation Studios
– 4:45-5 p.m. Christmas blessing by Rev. George DeMass
– 5-5:10 p.m. Opening speech by Mayor Billy Barlow
– 5:10-5:30 p.m. Sing-a-long carols
– 5:30-5:45 p.m. Coloring and story contest winners from local schools
– 5:45-6 p.m. “T ’was the Night Before Christmas” narrated by Kevin Caraccioli
– 6 p.m. Tree lighting, immediately followed by fireworks over the river
There will be horse and carriage rides from noon to 3 p.m. starting at West Second and Oneida streets, with a drop-off for Toys for Tots at the Elks Club.
West Oneida from Second to Third streets will be closed for carriage rides to unload.
Other activities include an inflatable snow globe at Civic Plaza from 1 to 6 p.m.; and carnival games by Reifke Concessions, West Second and Oneida streets from 1 to 6 p.m. Games are $1 each. Proceeds will be donated to a children’s charity.
Two live reindeer will make an appearance from 2 to 6 p.m. at the Civic Plaza.
Santa himself will lead the parade in a firetruck and listen to children’s wishes from 2:30 to 5 p.m. on the second floor of City Hall. Each child will receive a goody bag after they visit Santa.
Music for the day will be provided by “Just Push Play Productions” on the stage on West First Street. Food vendors on West First Street will include the Moose Shack, Phat Kat Foods and Provisions Catering. Hayley Starr of Starry Skies Balloon Art will create balloon animals inside City Hall, and the Oswego Lions Club will serve cookies and hot chocolate.
Oswego Sunrise Rotary will provide donuts and Big Kahuna Party Rentals will serve popcorn outside of City Hall.
For more information, contact Jennifer Losurdo at the Oswego City-County Youth Bureau, phone 315-349-3451, or email at [email protected]