In conjunction with National School Bus Safety Week, October 21 – 25, and for the safety of all Altmar-Parish-Williamstown Central School District students, the APW Transportation Department would like to review the following bus rules:
• Cross 10 feet in front of the bus after the driver signals you to do so.
• Wait for the bus 15 feet back from the edge of the road.
• Enter and leave the bus in an orderly and safe manner.
• Stay seated until the bus stops.
• Keep arms, hands and head inside the bus. Keep hands and feet out of the aisle.
• Books, bags, parcels or musical instruments must be held on the student’s lap.
• Sports equipment such as baseball bats, balls of all kinds, skateboards, roller skates and blades, etc. are not allowed on the bus.
• No glass containers, animals, insects or dangerous objects are allowed.
• Indecent or profane language will not be tolerated.
• Unauthorized persons cannot ride our school buses.
• Riders must follow the driver’s instruction at all times.
• No eating is allowed (excluding special pre-authorization) due to allergies and possible choking.
The APW Transportation Department would also like to remind parents and guardians of the district’s Student Transportation Discharge Policy.
Pursuant to APW Board of Education Policy #5830, which states that students are to be discharged from the school bus at the same designated location daily, the Transportation Department is unable to honor notes or phone calls received at the main offices requesting a non-permanent change for any specific day.
In the event of a family emergency (emergency being a serious situation or occurrence that happens unexpectedly and demands immediate action) parents are asked to contact the student’s specific school main office: Elementary School, UPK – Grade 2 at (315) 625-5260 or Grades 3 – 6 at (315) 625-5270; Junior High, Grades 7 – 8 at (315) 625-5200; and Senior High, Grades 9 – 12 at (315) 625-5222.
Abiding by these rules will go a long way in ensuring the safest school transportation possible.
The Transportation Department can be reached during normal business hours, 6 a.m. – 3 p.m. daily, at 625-5241.
After hours and until 6:30 p.m. the attendant on duty can be reached at 625-5243.