FULTON – Emergency Medical Services providers throughout Oswego County were recognized recently for their outstanding service in 2015 at the annual Emergency Medical Services Awards Banquet at the Oasis at Thunder Island in Fulton.
The Oswego County Emergency Medical Services Advisory Council, which organized the event, expressed appreciation for the major sponsors of the 2016 EMSAC Awards Banquet.
This year’s gold sponsors were Oswego County Ambulance Service (Menter’s), Entergy, and Exelon Generation.
Uniforms Etc. of Fulton and Oswego Health were silver sponsors. Jeff Paquette of Paquette Photography provided the photos.
The Oswego County Emergency Medical Services Advisory Council was chartered to assist emergency medical services agencies in Oswego County. Ambulance corps include Oswego Fire Department, Oswego County Ambulance Service (Menter’s) in Fulton, Donald McFee Ambulance Service in Mexico, Northern Oswego County Ambulance (NOCA) in Pulaski, Southern Oswego County Volunteer Ambulance Corps (SOVAC) in Central Square, North Shore Ambulance Squad in Cleveland, and Student Association Volunteer Ambulance Corps (SAVAC) of SUNY Oswego.
“We want to thank our providers for the activities that took place during 2015,” said EMSAC chair Lyle Robbins. “This has been a very interesting year. . . This is only a sampling of what goes on in Oswego County on a day-to-day basis, 365 days a year. There are other people out there who are just as deserving as the ones receiving awards tonight.”
Guest speaker Dr. Joseph Markham, Emergency Room physician at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Syracuse, noted that emergency medical services drives the actions in hospital emergency rooms.
“Each of you spends a lot of time training, whether career or volunteer. It takes a lot of hours being there, developing expertise, being away from your families. EMS is truly a priceless service,” he said.
“You should be proud of your commitment to EMS,” Oswego County EMS Coordinator John Barattini told the banquet attendees. Quoting from an EMS journal article, he noted. “EMS work is about serving and helping those who can’t help themselves. . . Caring counts, kindness heals, and service elevates.”
EMS providers honored for their service in 2015 include the following:
– Donald F. “D.J.” Ketcham Jr. BLS (Basic Life Support) Provider of the Year: EMT Natasha Harris, NOCA;
– ALS (Advanced Life Support) Provider of the Year: Paramedic Michael Zukovsky, Oswego County Ambulance Service;
– Michael E. McDonald EMS Educator of the Year: Paramedic and Deputy Chief David Engle, Oswego Fire Department;
– RN (Registered Nurse) of Excellence: Jill Gilman, RN, Oswego Hospital;
– Physician of Excellence: Dr. Scott Glick, Oswego Hospital;
– EMS Communications Award: Telecommunicator Danielle Richards, Oswego County E-911 Communications Center; and
– EMS Leadership Award: Paramedic John Barattini, Oswego County EMS Coordinator.
Life Saving Awards are presented to agencies whose providers helped save the life of a patient during 2015.
These awards were presented to the following:
– May 15, 2015: Oswego County Ambulance Service – Matthew Wilson and Stephen Parker; New York State Police – Matthew Cornish; Volney Fire Department – Adam Howard, Kevin Hayden, Jarred Fauler, Ryan Buck, Patrick Barnes, Cassie West, and Malinda Barnes;
– Dec. 14, 2015: Oswego County Ambulance Service – Michael Zukovsky, Matthew Wilson, and Eric Chrisman; Fulton Fire Department – Eric Hudson, Michelle Lacey, Tyler Perez, Christopher Caza, and Paul Kinne;
– July 29, 2015: Oswego County Ambulance Service – Howard Drake, Michele Newcomb; Oswego Fire Department – Matthew Alton, Jordan Patrick, and David Engle.
– Nov. 25, 2015: Oswego County Ambulance Service – Kristopher Ferrara, Mathew Wadsworth, Michele Newcomb, and Zachary Swanson; Phoenix Fire Department – John McDonald, Scott Doody, Robbilynn Mason, and Scott Palocy;
– July 24, 2015: Oswego County Ambulance Service – Howard Drake, James Cronk, Margaret Brower, and Eric Chrisman; Phoenix Fire Department – John McDonald, Scott Doody, Peter Marsenison, Eric Shaffer Jr., and Scott Palocy;
– June 7, 2015: Oswego County Ambulance Service – James Cronk, Michael Zukovsky, and Eric Chrisman; Volney Fire Department – Chuck Stevenson, Stephen Davis, Greg Goodrow, Brandon Arigo, Jeff King, Jason King, and Jarred Fauler;
– McFee Ambulance Service – Brian Whalen, Ryan Chartrand, and Greg Blake;
– Sandy Creek Fire Department – Natasha Harris, Mike Harris, Kristen Fontana, Frank Dixon, Alan Richards, Mike Pettit, and Lance Collins; McFee Ambulance Service – William Harrington and Greg Blake;
– Sept. 14, 2015: Oswego County Rope Rescue Team – Shawn Edwards, Joe Bright, Jerry Bright, Erik Heath, Al Heath, Lenny Hartle, Kurt Wehrmann; New Haven Fire Department – Ken Bogart; Deputy Fire Coordinator Mike Monnat;
– Excellence in STEMI Care: SOVAC – Patricia Geldof, Darrel Lennox, Chelsea Pittenger, and Angel Proulx.