OSWEGO COUNTY – Celebrate Oswego County’s bicentennial with events in communities throughout the area.
Mark your calendar to join the fun in August!
• New York Central Railroad: On Saturdays and Sundays during August, bring the whole family to the Oswego Railroad Museum on West First Street for the “New York Central Railroad” exhibit. The museum is open from noon to 5 p.m. both days and there is a small admission charge. For details, call 806-2193.
• Lighthouse Challenge: From Friday, Aug. 5 to Sunday, Aug. 7, join in the Lake Ontario CNY Lighthouse Challenge to visit lighthouses from Rochester to Clayton. Local stops include Oswego’s West Pierhead Lighthouse and the Selkirk Lighthouse in Pulaski. Admission is $25. For more information, call 342-0480.
• Old Home Days: On Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 6 and 7, celebrate Old Home Days in Parish and Pulaski. Festivities in Parish run from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday in the village park at routes 69 and 38. For details, call 278-6632. Activities in Pulaski run from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday in the South Park on Route 11. For details, call 532-5919.
• Brown Bag Luncheon: On Wednesday, Aug. 10, the Pulaski Historical Society on Maple Avenue hosts a “Brown Bag Luncheon” from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Bring your own lunch and enjoy a presentation by Shirley Mahaffy about the history of the Mahaffy Woolen Mill. For more information, call 298-4650.
• Fort Ontario Post Cemetery Tour: On Wednesday, Aug. 10, Fort Ontario State Historic Site on East Fourth Street in Oswego offers a guided walking tour of the post cemetery at 7 p.m. There is a small admission charge. For details, call 343-4711.
• Oswego County Fair: From Wednesday, Aug. 10 to Sunday, Aug. 14, bring the whole family to the 159th annual Oswego County Fair on Ellisburg Street in Sandy Creek. Enjoy displays, music, entertainment, games, rides and more from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. each day. A parade runs through the village at 7 p.m. on Wednesday followed by fireworks at dusk. For more information, visit www.oswegocountyfair.com.
• Plein Art Pain Out: From Friday, Aug. 12 to Sunday, Aug. 14, the CNY Arts Center in Fulton celebrates the county’s bicentennial through the artist’s eyes. Artists will be painting throughout the city over the weekend and donate one piece to the arts center for an auction to benefit arts programming. The auction is on Sunday, August 14. For details, e-mail Bonnie McClellan at [email protected]
• Magic in Minetto: On Saturday, Aug. 13, celebrate the centennial of Oswego County’s youngest town! Visit the Minetto River Walk Park from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. to enjoy the Magic in Minetto festival. For more information, call 343-4565.
• Civil War Military Strategies: On Wednesday, Aug. 17, Fort Ontario State Historic Site on East Fourth Street in Oswego presents a talk about military strategies in the Civil War by guest speaker Tom Ebert at 7 p.m. There is a small admission charge. For details, call 343-4711.
• L.C. Smith Homecoming: On Friday, Aug. 19 and Saturday, Aug. 20, the Pratt House Museum on South First Street in Fulton is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day to host its annual LC Smith Homecoming Weekend. There is a small admission charge. For details, call 598-4616.
• Summer Fun Day: On Sunday, Aug. 21, the Richardson-Bates House Museum on East Third Street in Oswego hosts a summer fun day from 2 to 4 p.m. The event features live music, games and ice cream sundaes. For more information, call 343-1342.
Admission is free for all events unless otherwise noted.
To learn more about the county’s bicentennial or see other upcoming events, go to www.visitoswegocounty.com