Go to ...
RSS Feed

September 23, 2018

Buddy and Porky Pet Health – Dangers To Pets Lurks In Autumn


Dear Readers,
It’s fall, that magical time when everything is gloriously beautiful, the air is cool, we can soon stop worrying about heart worm and maybe even fleas and ticks, there’s not much mud, it hasn’t snowed yet, in short a perfect time of year for pets and their people.

BUT, and there is always a but, there are a few things we all need to be extra cautious about right now.

Some people use rodent poisons in the fall as rodents seek shelter from the cooler temperatures by attempting to move indoors.

Rodenticides are highly toxic to pets—if ingested, the results could be fatal. If you must use these products, do so with extreme caution and put them in places inaccessible to your pets.

And, think about where your cats can climb to and into.  Do you really need those poisons?

Fall is mushroom season. While 99% of mushrooms have little or no toxicity, the few that are highly toxic can cause life-threatening problems in pets.

Unfortunately, most of the highly toxic mushrooms are difficult to distinguish from the nontoxic ones, so the best way to keep pets (and people) from eating poisonous mushrooms is to keep them away from areas where any mushrooms are growing.

Contact your veterinarian immediately if you witness your pet eating a wild mushroom.

Autumn is the season when snakes who are preparing for hibernation may be particularly cranky, increasing the possibility of severe bites to those unlucky pets who find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time.

There are not many venomous snakes around here, but even non-venomous snakes can deliver a nasty bite.

Pet owners should know what kinds of snakes may be in their environment and where these snakes are most likely to be found, so they can keep pets out of those areas.

Many people, succumb to the understandable urge to get everything cozy for the upcoming cold season and they choose fall as the time to change their car’s engine coolant. Ethylene glycol-based coolants are highly toxic, but sort of sweet tasting, so that pets will try licking them up. Even tiny spills should be cleaned up immediately. And never, ever, leave opened containers just sitting around.

Better yet, consider switching to propylene glycol-based coolant. They aren’t completely nontoxic, but they are much less toxic than other engine coolants.

On a happier fall  note –  do you love chocolate?

Join us for Dinner and a Movie on October 22 beginning at 5 p.m. at the Lake  Ontario Conference Center.

Buffet dinner, wonderful chocolate fountain, screening of the original Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, with special guest, Dr. Peter Ostrum, one of our local veterinarians who, as a youngster, played Charlie Bucket in the movie.

Tickets online at www.oswegohumane.org/events or call the office at 207-1070 to reserve tickets.

The Oswego County Humane Society provides spay/neuter services and assistance, fostering and adoption of animals in urgent need, humane education programs, and information and referrals to animal lovers throughout Oswego County.

Located at 29 W. Seneca St., Oswego, NY.

Phone: (315) 2,07-1070.

Email: [email protected]

Website: www.oswegohumane.org

Because People and Pets Are Good for Each Other!

More Stories From Community

%d bloggers like this: