Look both ways on the bottom step before you exit the bus.
This was one of many reminders Michael A. Maroun Elementary first graders received as bus drivers Wendy Zogg and Joy Heckert reviewed bus safety.
Students packed into a bus, with more students waiting just outside its doors, to listen to Zogg give the following tips:
• Don’t stick your hands out the window
• Throw garbage away when the bus stops
• Do not walk while the bus is moving
• Walk 10 steps away from the bus as you exit so there is plenty of room for the bus driver to see you
• Do not cross the street until the bus’ red lights are on and the driver signals you to cross
• Avoid strings hanging from backpacks so you don’t get it caught in bus doors
The student group was introduced to Zogg’s friend, Henrietta, who, at first, broke bus rules. Because the first graders paid close attention to the tips, they were able to help correct Henrietta.
Zogg said bus safety drills are held a few times each week for the first few weeks of school to ensure “students are safe when they load and unload the bus.”