Cause of Fulton Structure Fire Under Investigation

The remaining structure as of Wednesday, September 20

*Photo Gallery: Rick Grosvent

FULTON, NY – Firefighters were on scene for nearly 12 hours Tuesday (September 19) as they battled a commercial structure fire in Fulton.

Fulton Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 807 S. First St. within three minutes of the call received at 6:50 a.m.

The scene was entirely cleared at approximately 6:30 p.m., according to FFD Assistant Chief Shane Laws.

However, the fire itself was knocked down under control in two and a half hours.

The fire engulfed a roughly 75-year-old building that housed four businesses including an auto repair shop, a taxi service, a flea market, and an auto sales store, Laws said.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, Laws added, as follow up interviews and logistics relative to the investigation are handled.

No one was inside the structure during the time of fire, but two firefighters, one Fulton firefighter and one mutual aid responder, suffered minor injuries while battling the blaze.

Both firefighters were evaluated at the scene. One suffered a small cut on the face from falling glass and one reported chest pains.

Neither injury required further medical attention.

The fire required assistance from nine mutual aid departments including Volney, Minetto, Cody, Granby Center, Central Square, Phoenix, Oswego Town, Oswego City, and Pennellville.

The Oswego County Fire Coordinator’s Office and Menter’s Ambulance also assisted on scene.

The size of the fire required the bordering street, State Route 481 to shut down for a period of time during heavy traffic flow to allow for set up of apparatus to extinguish the flames.

Fulton Police Department was on scene to direct traffic for the busy route as travelers already saw traffic congestion from ongoing demolition at the former Nestle site on the same route.

The road was reopened around 11 a.m.

The age of the building as well as the construction of the roof posed significant problems for responders, Laws said.

No responders were able to enter the building due to the amount of structure that had been compromised, but a heavy timber roof proved difficult to get water in the building, Laws explained.

[mappress mapid=”150″]


  1. Anybody want to take bets on how long this eyesore will sit? Let’s see what our infamous Codes Dept. does with the structure.

Comments are closed.