;

Change Your Clocks, Change Your Batteries

The Oswego Fire Department reminds residents when changing clocks this weekend for daylight savings, to change the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, roughly two-thirds of home fire deaths happen in homes with no working smoke alarms.  When smoke alarms fail to operate, it is usually because batteries are missing, disconnected, or dead.  The NFPA estimates that seven people die in U.S. home fires per day.

Oswego Fire Chief Jeff McCrobie said, “Working smoke alarms often are the difference between life or death in home fires, especially at night when people are sleeping. Properly working smoke alarms alert people so they have time to escape the fire.”

The Oswego Fire Department offers these safety tips:

*  Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside of every sleeping area, and on every level of      the home-including the basement.
*  For the best protection, smoke alarms should be interconnected.
*  Smoke alarms should be tested once a month by pressing the “test” button.
*  Smoke alarms should be installed as directed, high on a wall, or on a ceiling.
*  Replace batteries at least once a year.  If the alarm “chirps”, replace the battery immediately.
*  Replace all smoke alarms after 10 years.  Most alarms are labeled with expiration dates.
*  Develop a home fire safety plan and practice fire drills in the home.

The Oswego Fire Department’s smoke alarm program is free to residents.

Smoke alarms are available free of charge, and firefighters will visit your home to install them.

Smoke alarm batteries are also available free of charge.

Chief McCrobie said, “There is no excuse for any home in the city of Oswego to not have properly working smoke alarms.  Through grant monies, and local donations from Eagle Beverage, Raby’s Ace Home Center, and Lowe’s, we have an ample supply of smoke alarms available to residents- absolutely free of charge.”

Chief McCrobie also reminds residents to check heating exhaust vents and chimneys to ensure they are clear of snow and debris. Clogged vents can lead to a deadly buildup of carbon monoxide.

Residents are also reminded to ensure that carbon monoxide alarms are in proper working order with fresh batteries.

For those residents needing smoke alarms installed or batteries changed, please call the Oswego Fire Department Headquarters at (315) 343-2161 to make an appointment.

Stay Safe Oswego!