Submitted by the Fulton YMCA Speed Demons
FULTON, NY – Swimmers on the Fulton YMCA Speed Demons brought in several close results and first-place finishes when they matched up against the Oswego YMCA Dolphins Nov. 15 at the Oswego High School pool. Some heats were so close that the winners were determined by a fraction of a second.
YMCA community swimming teams are divided according to age and sex into 10 groups. Swimmers ages 5-8 make up the E boys and girls; ages 9-10, D; ages 11-12, C; 13-14, B; and 15-18, A
Among the closest finishes, B girl Miranda Perry won the 50-yard freestyle race by 0.27 seconds. Lacey Reich won the 50-yard freestyle heat for C girls by 0.28 seconds.
Putting more distance between first and second place finishes, Andrew Distin won the 50-yard freestyle race for D boys by 0.98 seconds. Scott Bullard won the 100-yard freestyle race for A boys by 0.80 seconds. Bullard missed 1st and took 2nd in the 50-yard freestyle race by 0.22 seconds.
In other close races:
- D girl Brooke Morrisseau took 2nd over 3rd in the 50-yard freestyle by 0.16 seconds
- D girl Sabrina Verdoliva missed 1st and took 2nd in the 50-yard backstroke by 0.01 seconds
- A boy Ben Davis missed 1st and took 2nd in the 100-yard backstroke by 0.48 seconds
Bringing in first place finishes for the team were:
- E boys: Kenneth Verdoliva, Jacob May (2), Mark Tallents
- D boys ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ David Tallents (2), Andrew Distin (2), Jake LeVea, Sage Hourihan
- C girls ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ Grace Trepasso, Lacey Reich (2), Anna Guernsey, Hannah Jones
- C boys ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ Ross Gardner (2), Jacob Strauss, Kyle Buck (2), Thomas Distin
- B girls ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ Janelle Tallents, Miranda Perry, Dannielle Cobb (2), Courtney Beckwith (2)
- B boys ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ Steven Gilliland
- A girls ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ Elizabeth Guernsey, Devon Niccoli (3), Julia Endres, Cassandra Gardner (2), Daisy Ruiz
- A boys ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ Sean Caltabiano (2), Josh Strauss (2), Ben Davis, Scott Bullard
ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œOverall, we won seven age groups during the meet,ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â said head coach Cathy Peterson. The groups included E boys, D boys, C girls, C boys, B girls, A girls and A boys.
Five swimmers qualified during the meet to swim in the New York YMCA State Meet that will be held in Buffalo in March. Swimmers qualify for states by bringing in times under the qualifying standard in individual events. They included:
- Jacob May ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ 25-yard freestyle
- Lacey Reich ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ 50-yard freestyle
- Hannah Jones ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ 50-yard breaststroke
- Janelle Tallents ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ 200-yard freestyle
- Miranda Perry ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ 50-yard freestyle & 100-yard breaststroke
With a continued team emphasis on individual improvement, several swimmers were noted for taking substantial time off of their individual events.
Two swimmers brought in times that were more than half a minute below their previous times. Grace Trepasso took 47.73 seconds off of her time in the 200-yard individual medley relay, which includes butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle. Ashley McCann took 37.98 seconds off of her best time in the 200-yard freestyle race.
Tim McAfee took 27.65 seconds off of his time in the 200-yard freestyle. McAfee also took 6.09 seconds off in the 50-yard backstroke. Ruby Lagoda took 24.02 seconds off of her best time in the 100-yard freestyle and 7.61 seconds off in the 50-yard freestyle race.
Kayleigh Hotaling took 20.48 seconds off in the 50-yard freestyle. Shaun Saulsbury took 23.84 seconds off in the 25-yard backstroke.
Swimmers credited for taking at least five seconds off of their individual events during the meet include:
- Zachary Almeter took 9.10 seconds off in the 50-yard freestyle
- Koji Burdic took 5.90 seconds off in the 25-yard backstroke
- Dannielle Cobb took 5.67 seconds off in the 100-yard backstroke
- Phillip Cobb took 5.80 seconds off in the 100-yard freestyle
- Courtney DeLong took 9.83 seconds off in the 50-yard backstroke
- Ian Devendorf took 8.22 seconds off in the 100-yard freestyle
- Andrew Distin took 9.25 seconds off in the 100-yard freestyle
- Katie Distin took 7.62 seconds off in the 50-yard freestyle
- Ashli Dodge took 8.49 seconds off in the 50-yard freestyle
- Cassandra Gardner took 5.41 seconds off in the 100-yard butterfly
- Anna Guernsey took 7.36 seconds off in the 200-yard individual medley
- Rachel Guernsey took 9.51 seconds off in the 200-yard individual medley
- Cassie Hartranft took 5.01 seconds off in the 25-yard freestyle
- Kyle Hotaling took 6.96 seconds off in the 25-yard backstroke
- Sage Hourihan took 13.87 seconds off in the 200-yard freestyle
- John Licciardello took 8.93 seconds off in the 100-yard freestyle
- Lexi MacDonald took 9.71 seconds off in the 100-yard freestyle and 7.75 seconds off in the 200-yard freestyle
- Grant Marriner took 9.05 seconds off in the 50-yard breaststroke
- Griffin Marriner took 6.92 seconds off in the 25-yard freestyle
- Caitlyn McAfee took 6.11 seconds off in the 25-yard backstroke
- Miranda Perry took 7.42 seconds off in the 100-yard breaststroke
- Jenna Ruzekowicz took 10.41 seconds off in the 50-yard freestyle
- Jacob Strauss took 15.75 seconds off in the 200-yard individual medley
- Josh Strauss took 11.34 seconds off in the 200-yard individual medley
- Jessica Suphan took 5.49 seconds off in the 50-yard freestyle and 12.55 seconds off in the 100-yard freestyle
- Janelle Tallents took 5.41 seconds off in the 200-yard freestyle
- Christina Thompson took 7.26 seconds off in the 25-yard backstroke
- Caleb Trepasso took 5.61 seconds off in the 50-yard freestyle
- Alisa Trudell took 5.53 seconds off in the 50-yard freestyle
- Kenneth Verdoliva took 13.13 seconds off in the 100-yard freestyle
Swimmers of the week: Caitlyn McAfee, Jenna Ruzekowicz, Alisa Trudell, Cassie Hartranft, Jacob May, Caleb Trepasso, Koji Burdic, Bradley Morrisseau, John Licciardello, Sabrina Verdoliva, Lexi MacDonald, Ashli Dodge, Brooke Morrisseau, David Tallents, Tim McAfee, Phillip Cobb, Andrew Distin, Zachary Almeter, Grace Trepasso, Lacey Reich, Jacob Strauss, Courtney Beckwith, Miranda Perry, Dannielle Cobb, Rachel Guernsey, Janelle Tallents, Cassandra Gardner and Josh Strauss
The team will match up against the Cortland YÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s team Saturday at home at the Granby Elementary School swimming pool.
The Fulton YMCA Speed Demons are a community-based swim team that competes in the Central New York region of the New York State Y Swimming League. Team members come from Fulton, Hannibal, Phoenix and other communities in the area.
For more information, visit the team’s Web site at www.fultonspeeddemons.org.