Cooking Fire Damages Westside Oswego Residence

A cooking fire damaged an Oswego residence Tuesday.

A cooking fire damaged an Oswego residence Tuesday.

OSWEGO – The Oswego Fire Department was dispatched to a multiple occupancy residential building for a reported cooking fire at 8:33 p.m. today (Feb. 9) at 136 W. Fourth St.

" data-medium-file="" data-large-file="" class="size-medium wp-image-186007" src="" alt="A cooking fire damaged an Oswego residence Tuesday." width="300" height="400" srcset=" 300w, 150w, 460w, 600w" sizes="(max-width: 300px) 100vw, 300px" />
A cooking fire damaged an Oswego residence Tuesday.

OFD units arrived on the scene at 8:36 p.m. and reported smoke showing
and that the building was being evacuated.

Firefighters made entry to the building, with the engine company working on the fire, and the ladder truck company searching for trapped occupants.

Crews were able to confine the fire to the kitchen stove area, with some extension to the wall and range hood.

The building was charged with smoke throughout and was ventilated before residents were allowed to return.

This building did have working smoke alarms, which helped the residents escape the fire unharmed.

It appeared that there were 7 occupied bedrooms along with some common areas located in this structure.

The building sustained minor smoke damage throughout the common areas, and heavier damage to the kitchen area.

No injuries were reported.

All crews were back in service at 9:10 p.m.

Cooking fires are typically one of the leading causes of home fires and home injuries.

Residents are reminded to be alert when cooking, and to keep anything that can catch fire away from the stove.

Small grease fires can be smothered by sliding a lid over the pan and turning the burner off.

Never use water for a grease fire!

For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.

Although small fires can seem rather routine, they can grow quickly.

It’s often best to get out of the house, close the door, and call 911 immediately.

It’s also a good idea to keep a small ABC rated fire extinguisher handy, as you may need it to escape the home safely.

Lastly, the fire department encourages everyone to check their homes for working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms.

Smoke alarms should be installed inside of every bedroom, outside every sleeping area, and on every level of the home.

Carbon monoxide alarms should be installed on every level of the home.