OSWEGO, NY – The majority of the discussion at Monday night’s Common Council meeting focused on something that was no longer on the agenda.
Prior to the meeting, Resolution No. 492 – Approve two-hour parking restriction on West Mohawk Street between West Second and West Ninth streets – was pulled.
At last week’s Administrative Services Committee meeting, the resolution was forwarded to the full council. Third Ward Councilor Mike Todd said he has been getting complaints from residents along the street regarding the situation.
“They’re having trouble getting in and out of their driveways and when the winter comes, there’s no way for (the DPW) to plow the street because both sides of the street are being utilized,” he said.
John Henderson, a West Mohawk Street resident, spoke against the resolution at Monday night’s public session.
“I am here to voice my opposition to any plan to put limits on my parking in front of my house,” he told the council. He was basing his opposition on what he said were “quality of life issues.”
City resident Miles Becker also disagreed with the resolution.
Lack of parking, he pointed out, is an issue all over the city, not just around the hospital.
Todd said he and Council President Ron Kaplewicz have had discussions with representatives of Oswego Health. There is a good chance the two sides can come to some sort of agreement to alleviate the parking problems, he added.
“They were very receptive to what we said,” he said. “We’ll go forward with this with a united effort.”
The council granted two requests to use public space:
- Elizabeth McGrath, owner of property at 18 W. Fifth St., in order to erect a retaining wall, two-car parking area and apron
- Oswego Minor Hockey Association, in order to place a temporary trailer at the Cullinan Ice Rink
They also accepted two donations:
- from One Main Financial for the spay/neuter program for cats at the Animal Shelter
- from Happy Trails Pet Boutique for the police department K-9 Unit
Mayor Tom Gillen was authorized to:
- to execute a one-year renewal agreement with the county of Oswego for weights and measures services for the year 2014
- to execute a five-year agreement with the U.S. Department of the Navy for the ship anchor at Montcalm Park
- to sign change order No. 4 with Blue Heron Construction Company for project modifications to the West Side Wastewater Treatment Plant Expansion Project.
- to execute an agreement with Oswego County regarding the Oswego County Arson Investigation Team K-9 Handler for the Oswego Fire Department
In other business, the city:
Approved a new fee schedule for building permits
Approved the bid submitted by Altrux for a used Oshkosh Truck and snowblower for use by the Department of Public Works
Authorized the purchasing agent to seek bids for the demolition and closure of a swimming pool located at 152 W. Seventh St.
Approved a transfer of funds from within the Department of Public Works Snow Removal Accounts
Approved a transfer of funds from within the High Dam Hydroelectric Facility Account
Approved submission of Barbara Donahue Drive to the New York State Department of Transportation Local Highway Inventory.