OSWEGO, NY – In a brief meeting Thursday, the Oswego County Legislature got ready to tackle business in 2018 with some new legislators and a new chairman.
Former chairman Kevin Gardner was sworn in a the new county tresurer.
Shane Broadwell, majority leader in 2017, was named as the chairman of the Oswego County Legislature for 2018.
Legislator Terry Wilbur nominated Broadwell. Minority Leader Frank Castiglia nominated Dan Farfaglia.
The vote was split along party lines with two legislators excused.
Castiglia questioned whether there’d be any conflicts of interest due to Broadwell’s business ventures.
“I’m just looking for some transparency,” he said. “If there is any, we need to know about it.”
“Point of order! We’re looking for a nomination, not an explanation to why he’s opposing somebody,” Wilbur said.
Broadwell won the chairman’s seat in a roll call (voice) vote.
Fellow Republican Linda Lockwood was re-elected vice chair.
The Republicans appointed James Weatherup as majority leader.
Tim Stahl was named majority whip for 2017.
On the other side of the aisle, Castiglia and Farfaglia were named Minority Leader and Minority Whip, respectively.
In other action Thursday, legislators approved Chris Jones as the clerk of the legislature.
Other appointments included:
• Richard Mitchell as County Attorney
• Phil Church as County Administrator
• Dave Turner as Director of the Department of Community Development, Tourism and Planning
• Kevin Pooley as Director of the 911 Communications System
• Dale Currier as Director of Emergency Management
• John Bucher as Director of Facilities and Technology
• David Mark Powell as Director of Solid Waste Programs
• Sara Sunday as Aging Services Administrator
• Brian Chetney as Director of the Youth Bureau
• Donna Kestner as Director of Veterans’ Services
• Stephen Loadwick as Auditor for the county
And, the legislature approved the purchase of a replacement, non-commuting vehicle, using 100 percent grant funds, not to exceed $29,095. The vehicle will be used by the Health Department for job site visits and inspections of water and septic systems.