;

Dryer Fire Damages Oswego Residence

OSWEGO, NY – The Oswego Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire on Wednesday around 5 p.m. at 244 W. Seventh St.

Upon arrival crews reported smoke and fire coming from an upstairs window and made an immediate entry to the area and quickly extinguished the fire.

It was contained to one room, according to Chief Jeff McCrobie.

Four people home at the time exited on their own.

There were no injuries.

The cause appears to be in the area of a clothes dryer in the upstairs laundry room.

“This was a small fire that could have been much worse. First arriving crews quickly entered the residence, extinguished the fire and ventilated the home, preventing much more damage. I commend them for that,” MCCrobie said.

Also of equal importance, the residents had working smoke detectors that alerted them of the fire, he added.

“They heard the detectors and exited the residence and then called 911.  This again shows the importance of working smoke detectors as well as getting yourself and loved ones out of the home and not trying to extinguish the fire yourself,” the chief said.

The Red Cross was called to the scene to aid the victims.