Early Morning Fire Damages Westside Home

UPDATE: The cause of the house fire early this morning at 195 West Eighth St. appears to be unattended food left on the stove, Chief Jeff McCrobie said.  The structure is a total loss, he added.

OSWEGO, NY – At 1:05 this morning (January 10) the Oswego Fire Department responded to a confirmed structure fire at 195 West Eighth St.

The fire was reported by the next door neighbor.

First arriving crews encountered smoke and flame coming from the downstairs rear of the home.

The one and only resident home at the time, along with a dog, had exited the structure prior to firefighters’ arrival.

Fire crews performed an interior attack and continued this operation for about 20 minutes in an attempt to control this wind-driven fire, but all crews were called out about 20 minutes later as there was a partial collapse of the roof of the structure.

At that point an exterior operation was performed and it took about 45 minutes to get the fire under control.

The occupant of the home was taken to Oswego Hospital, his condition is not known at this time.

The homes on each side of 195 West Eighth St. were evacuated due to their close proximity to the fire scene.

Two of the evacuated neighbors were taken to Oswego Hospital for shelter and returned to their home about 2 hours later.

The City of Oswego Cause and Origin Team is investigating the cause of the fire.

Also on scene were Oswego Police Department, Menter Ambulance, National Grid,  and Oswego County Fire Coordinator’s Office personnel as well as The Oswego County Mobile Cascade System.

“This wind-driven fire got a pretty good head start on us and the first arriving crews did a heck of a job to get this thing under control until the structure was determined unsafe for interior operations and we pulled the crews out.  One of our main concerns then became the home at 197 West Eighth St. being downwind from the fire and that home sustained very minor damage.  The C & O Team is on the scene now and we hope to have a cause determined by mid day,” according to Jeff McCrobie, fire chief.

The home suffered heavy fire, smoke and water damage.