OSWEGO – The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Oswego Lodge #271, will host a free U.S. flag retirement program outside the entrance of Old Fort Ontario on June 11 at 1 p.m.
The public is invited to turn in their worn out flags for proper retirement by members of the Oswego Elks before the program.
Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Lecturing Knight Carol Simpson, and other members of the Oswego Elks will conduct the flag retirement ceremony and distribute information on the proper daily care and disposal of the colors.
The last U.S. flag to fly over the post when it was decommissioned on April 3, 1946, is now on display in the Enlisted Men’s Barracks.
Weather permitting, an original 45-star U.S. flag measuring approximately 10- by 20-feet and designated for service at army posts from 1896 to 1908, will be flown over the fort during the flag retirement program.
The post flag is on loan from the Continental Arms Collectors Association of Oswego.
Fort Ontario will be open for tours from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; regular admission will be charged.
Fort Ontario State Historic Site is located at the north end of East Fourth Street in the city of Oswego.
For more information, contact Paul Lear at (315) 343-4711.