UPDATE, Wednesday, Noon: A Granby Volunteer Fire Department official confirms that there was no firewall in the building. He said it was simply “a damn good job” by the fire crews to contain the damage to the two westernmost apartments. He said the apartments on the east side of the building appeared to suffer some minor water and smoke damage but were likely saved. And the firefighter who received some medical help at the scene was getting help with a cut received elsewhere and was not injured fighting the fire.
UPDATE, 4:00 p.m.: The Red Cross says 4 families are without homes because of the fire. The 11 people among those four families will receive disaster assistance from the Red Cross, including help with housing, replacement medications, food and clothing.
UPDATE, 2:00 p.m.: Grosvent tells us the fire began in a kitchen where french fries were cooking on the stove.
Fire broke out around noon in a building of the Chateau West apartments in Fulton.
Contributor Rick Grosvent tells us that the fire is in building 12, apartment I. He said it appears the building’s firewall did a good job of containing the fire.
No one appeared to have been hurt by the fire, but one firefighter may have suffered a minor injury fighting it.
Firefighters from Granby and Fulton responded first, he said, with mutual aid responses from Hannibal, Oswego Town, Cody, Minetto and Phoenix.