;

Fire Causes Minor Damage At Water Department

Firefighters vent smoke from the Water Department today.

Firefighters vent smoke from the Water Department today.

Firefighters vent smoke from the Water Department today.
Firefighters vent smoke from the Water Department today.

OSWEGO – The Oswego Fire Department was dispatched to a reported structure fire at 7:42 a.m. Sept.9 at 30 Sheldon Ave., the city of Oswego Water Department.

The fire was reported to be in the cafeteria of the industrial building.

On duty crews arrived 4 minutes later at 7:46 a.m. and reported smoke showing from the structure.

Crews made entry to the building and quickly located the fire near a stovetop in the breakroom.

The fire caused moderate damage, fire officials report.
The fire caused moderate damage, fire officials report.

Firefighters knocked down the flames and surveyed the building for extension.

Firefighters had to evacuate a moderate amount of smoke from the 3-story structure with fans.

The fire was contained to the area of origin, and was determined to be caused by an accidental placement of combustibles near the stovetop.

No injuries were reported, and fire damage was limited to the appliance.

The water supply is safe and remained uninterrupted during fire control operations.

We would like to thank the staff at the water department for their quick actions in reporting the fire, according to Fire Chief Jeff McCrobie.

All units were back in service at 8:36 a.m.