Fire hit an apartment house in downtown Oswego Friday morning.
The fire did heavy damage to the back of the two-apartment converted home at 134 E. Bridge St.
No injuries were reported in the fire.
It took Oswego Fire Department crews about 35 minutes to bring the fire under control.
[Contributor Rick Grosvent provided the photo and information for this story.]
OSWEGO, NY – The Oswego Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire this morning (Jan. 28) at 134 E. Bridge St.
The call was received at 8:27 a.m. with units arriving 3 minutes later reporting smoke coming from the 2-family residence.
A fire in the rear of the structure downstairs in the kitchen area was extinguished within minutes.
One male occupant, who was home in the apartment where the fire began, escaped on his own.
He was on the porch when firefighters arrived.
The upstairs apartment was unoccupied.
There were no injuries and the house is owned by Nick and Adele Sterio.
The cause of the fire appears to be an electrical problem.
Damage was restricted to the kitchen area.
The Red Cross was on scene.
National Grid and Oswego Police also assisted.
“This fire was a bit difficult due to the closeness of the houses in that section of East Bridge Street, but access was made down an alley way and the fire was limited to the room of origin,” said Fire Chief Jeffrey McCrobie.