OSWEGO, NY – The Oswego Fire Department responded to a reported fire in a trash can at the Byrne Dairy located at 99 W. Bridge St. tonight (June 17).
According to fire officials, an employee was alerted to the fire around 7:20 p.m.
The employee saw smoke and fire coming from an area near the gas pumps and immediately activated the overhead extinguishment system.
A customer was pumping gas nearby, but was not injured.
Firefighters washed down the trash can with water to ensure the fire was out.
The gas pumps were isolated and shut down, and customers and employees were checked for injuries.
Byrne Dairy officials stated the store would remain open this evening, but the gas pumps would remain closed until the extinguishment system can be recharged and inspected.
The dry powder covered the entire parking area, and even spread across Bridge Street.
Store employees were cleaning the area at present time.
According to the Oswego Police Department, the fire is under investigation at this time.
Although this was a small fire, it had potential to be a disaster if gasoline fumes had ignited.
Thankfully, the gas pump closest to the trash can was not in use at the time of the fire, fire officials said.