;

Firefighters Battle House Fire

Provided by Oswego Fire Department

OSWEGO, NY – The Oswego Fire Department responded to a structure fire tonight (Oct. 5) at 38 Varick St.

Firefighters were dispatched at 7:39 p.m. and arrived on the scene 4 minutes later reporting smoke and flames visible from the upstairs of the structure.

The fire was extinguished a short time after that.

Two people home at the time of the fire escaped unharmed.

Jamie Greeney, 25, and her 4-year-old son were alerted by a smoke detector and exited the home.

“Smoke detectors save lives, plain and simple. These two people were alerted by a working smoke detector in the upstairs of this home. There is no telling what may have happened if the detector was not present or not properly operating,” said Jeff McCrobie, first assistant chief. “This is fire prevention week and all people are reminded to be aware of the value of working smoke detectors as well as the danger of leaving matches and lighters within reach of children.”

Soon, we will be changing the clocks back and we support and encourage the change your clock, change your battery program, he added.

Damage was confined to the upstairs bedrooms with some water damage to the downstairs.

Probable cause was a child playing with a lighter.

There were no injuries.

The home is owned by David Wahrendorf.