OSWEGO, NY – By making small adjustments to costume and decoration choices on Halloween, danger and risk to public safety is easily decreased.
“It is important for people to take basic precautions to make sure they have nothing other than a fun-filled Halloween,” said Oswego Fire Department Chief Jeff McCrobie.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, the United States sees an overall increase in fires on Halloween caused by open flames and the arson fire rate is 10 percent higher than on any other day with 15,500 fires and $92 million in property loss per year.
To ensure a safe and happy Halloween, the Oswego Fire Department offers the following tips:
Cross streets at the intersection and look both ways before crossing.
Use battery operated lights, not candles, to decorate walkways. Always keep candles, matches and lighters in a place that children cannot reach. This will make it much safer for trick-or-treaters and decrease the chance of an open flame
Keep children, costumes and decorations away from open flames and heat sources. Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper are highly flammable.
Check lights for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires or loose connections.
Make sure they are certified by a recognized organization like the Underwriters’ Laboratory, Canadian Standards Association or the Underwriters’ Laboratory of Canada.
Do not overload extension cords. Indoor and outdoor decorative lights can be fire hazards.
Choose costumes that are flame resistant, comfortable and easy to walk in and see.
Pick brightly colored costumes that can be clearly seen by motorists. Add reflective tape to the costume to increase visibility.
Please call 9-1-1 for the help of your local firefighters in the case of a fire or emergency.
The Oswego Fire Department wishes you a happy and safe Halloween.