Four Rescued From Oswego River

One of the four men pulled from Oswego River today has died.

Oswego City Police have been investigating the circumstances surrounding four men who were pulled from the Oswego River this afternoon.

According to witnesses at the scene, the four were fishing in the Oswego River when they were swept away by rising water.

Two men were initially rescued by the Oswego Fire Department personnel using their rescue boat.

Those two were later evaluated by EMS and released.

Two other men, who were pulled from the Oswego River near the former Coleman’s property, were transported to Oswego Hospital where one of them was later pronounced dead.

The second man who was transported to the hospital remains at Oswego Hospital in serious condition.

Information regarding the identity of the victims hasn’t yet been released and is pending the notification of the next of kin.


OSWEGO, NY – Four people were rescued after being swept away  by fast-moving high water in the Oswego River earlier this afternoon.

Two of the victims were pulled out of the water near the Bridge Street Bridge, according to Oswego Police Capt. Tory DeCaire.

The other two were rescued behind the former Coleman’s restaurant on West First Street, near where the river empties into lake Ontario, he added.

Two of the victims were transported to Oswego Hospital for treatment. No information was available regarding their condition.

The others were treated at the scene and released.

Responding to the scene were members of the U.S. Coast Guard, Oswego Fire and Police departments.

According to the Oswego City Police Department:

At about 12:44 p.m. today (Sept. 28), the Oswego City Police Department was notified by Oswego County 911 of a fisherman in distress in the Oswego River last observed near the Utica Street Bridge.

Emergency water-rescue crews from the Oswego Fire Department and the United
States Coast Guard were dispatched and responded to the area where the victims were last observed.

Upon investigation, it was determined that a total of four men were observed in the river and in possible distress.

Oswego Fire Department personnel rescued two of them who were clinging to objects in the river near the Bridge Street Bridge.

Those two victims were later evaluated by EMS and released.

Oswego Fire Chief Jeffery McCrobie and Oswego Police Officer Damian Waters both entered the water and pulled two additional men from the river near the former Coleman’s property.

Those two victims were transported to the Oswego Hospital for treatment.

The investigation into the exact circumstances surrounding the incident is being handled by the Oswego Police Department and remains on-going.