Funds Made Available for ADA Accessible Buses

Assemblyman Will Barclay (R,C,I—Pulaski) announced today (May 23) that he has learned there is funding available for not-for-profit organizations and municipalities to help provide transportation for the disabled and elderly.

The New York State of Transportation is calling for applications for funding available through the Federal Transit Administration.

The deadline to apply is June 1.

Funds are awarded competitively and may be used to purchase ADA (Americans with Disability Act) accessible buses.

The program provides 80% of the vehicle purchase cost, with the remaining 20% to be paid for by the recipient.

There is a total of $11.5 million that has been made available through the federally-administered program.

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 prohibits discrimination and ensures equal opportunity and access for persons with disabilities.

According to its website, the Federal Transit Administration works to ensure nondiscriminatory transportation in support of its mission to enhance the social and economic quality of life for all Americans.

Barclay encourages all not-for-profits and municipalities to apply for this federal funding.

To view the application, visit and follow the link to Specialized Transportation, Section 5310 Elderly and Disabled Program.

For questions about this program, call 518-457-8335.