Got Plastic? Cornell Cooperative Extension of Oswego County to Survey Agriculture Producers For Potential Recycling Project

In response to recent regulations from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation prohibiting open burning, Cornell Cooperative Extension of Oswego County (CCE Oswego County) is exploring the possibility of a collaborative effort with other county agencies to help local farmers address the issue of agricultural plastics disposal. Currently there are two legal methods of disposing of agricultural plastics: dropping off at the nearest solid waste facility or recycling. Through support of agencies like, Oswego County Soil and Water Conservation District, Natural Resources Conservation Service, Black River-St. Lawrence Resource Conservation Development Council, and Oswego Industries Inc, CCE Oswego County feels recycling agricultural plastics benefits the agriculture community with the potential to create jobs while reducing the environmental impact of landfill disposal.

Cornell Cooperative Extension of Oswego County is conducting a survey to determine the amount of agricultural plastics available for recycling throughout the county. If you are an agricultural producer, and have received a survey in the mail, please take a few minutes and fill it out. If you have agricultural plastics on your farm, that include but are not limited to: horticultural containers, mulch film, greenhouse and hoophouse covers, plant pots and trays, bags from soil amendments, irrigation drip tape and tubing, also bunk silo/silage pile covers and films, balage wrap and netting, bale tube/in-line tube bags etc., please call and request a survey form from Karen Meyers at (315) 963-7286 ext 201 or by email at [email protected] The deadline for submitting information is February 22, 2010.

If you have questions concerning the project, please contact Jonathan Schell at (315) 963-7286 ext 200 or by email at [email protected]