Hamilton Edges Oswego State Men’s Soccer Team

Hamilton Edges Oswego State Men’s Soccer Team
OSWEGO, N.Y. – The Oswego State men’s soccer team (1-2-0) carried a 1-0 lead into halftime, but was unable to hold on in a 2-1 loss to Hamilton (1-0-0) at Laker Field on Wednesday.

Sophomore Jim Manton (Deer Park, N.Y.) headed home a free kick from fellow sophomore Drew Bordash (Highland Mills, N.Y.) with just over a minute remaining in the first half to give the Lakers a 1-0 lead. The Continentals went on to score two goals in the second period to steal the win from Oswego State.

The game’s first good scoring chance came with 16 minutes remaining in the first half when substitute freshman Jack Sprague (Spencerport, N.Y.) executed a pretty one-touch pass to junior captain Mike Naab (Ontario, N.Y.). Naab sensed the goalie moving forward and tried to bend the ball to the far post, but missed high. Hamilton outshot Oswego State 7-6 in the first stanza, but the Lakers led 1-0 at the break.

Hamilton knotted up the score eight minutes into the second half when a Hennie Bosman pass threaded the Oswego State defense, forcing Laker goalie Pat Breen (Palmyra, N.Y.) to come out and challenge the play. Hamilton’s Anthony Balbo was able to sneak by Breen and put the ball into the net.

Less than 10 minutes later, Breen aggressively played a ball, but it slipped through his hands to the feet of Bosman. Bosman shot at an empty net but his offering smacked off the crossbar back into play.

In the 73rd minute, Hamilton’s Griffin Abbott received a pass from Leo Nizzi at the top of the box. Abbott pushed the ball right and took a shot across his body that found the lower left corner of the goal. The Continentals would hold on to their 2-1 lead until the final whistle, despite an 8-6 shot margin in the second half in favor of the Lakers.

Breen made five saves for the Lakers in a losing effort. Eric Boole also tallied five saves for the Continentals.

The Lakers will travel to Nazareth to play the Golden Flyers on Saturday at 3 p.m.