The long job of drafting a new budget for the Hannibal Central School District has begun.
The Board of Education recently adopted a calendar for its work, the first step towards delivering a budget in time for a public vote on May 15, 2012.
The next step will come at the January 11, 2012 board meeting, when the board will set the broad parameters for the budget. From there:
- January 15: Governor’s budget is released on or about this date. The budget sets a baseline for the amount of state aid the district could receive;
- January 25: Review the first draft of a budget;
- February 8: Review the Governor’s budget and district revenue during the regular board meeting;
- February 15: Budget workshop on transportation, operations and maintenance;
- March 7: Budget workshop on the instructional budget;
- March 14: Regular board meeting;
- March 28: Budget workshop on administration and debt service;
- April 1: New York State budget deadline, often ignored;
- April 10: BOCES annual meeting. BOCES costs are part of the school district’s budget;
- April 11: Budget workshop, if necessary;
- April 16: Deadline for submitting petitions for Board of Education positions and ballot propositions;
- April 18: Adopt budget at regular board meeting;
- April 24: BOCES budget vote and BOCES board election;
- April 27: Budget newsletter mailed out;
- May 7: Budget public hearing;
- May 9: Regular board meeting;
- May 15: Budget vote and Board of Education candidate election.