OSWEGO, NY – Oswego, 1920 –1946 is the theme of the July photographic exhibit at the Oswego Public Library’s Art Gallery.
Harrison Wilde created this exhibit from old albums that he purchased at an antique store (Tug Hill Antiques).
The albums were assembled by the late Ralph Pare and it is believed that Pare took most of the photos – certainly those of the 1930s and 1940s.
The views offer a glimpse of Oswego in the World War II era and before.
Buildings still standing, like the old high school and the New York Central Railroad station and Sheldon Hall are portrayed as well as buildings that no longer exist like the Ames Iron Works.
Images of the harbor are included like the view of the river taken from the third floor of Old City Hall and the “Fontana” taking coal to the steam station.
The military is represented by a submarine anchored in the harbor and views of Fort Ontario including the old Officers’ Row and the hospital.
Augmenting the exhibit are some local items from the Picture Connection.
These include a 18th century map of the mouth of the Oswego River which was published in the early 19th century, an ice covered Oswego light house and for a contemporary scene, the “Bars of Oswego.”
People who like old photos will really enjoy this exhibit.
It runs through the first week in August so that people attending Harborfest can also view it.
Copies of these photos may be purchased.