Hot shooting helps Oswego State women’s basketball topple Blue Knights

OSWEGO, N.Y. – The Oswego State women’s basketball team (13-4 8-3, SUNYAC) avenged an early season loss when it defeated the Blue Knights of Geneseo (14-5, 10-3, SUNYAC), 59-54, Tuesday night at Max Ziel Gymnasium.

The contest was a back-and-forth affair for much of the first half as teams exchanged baskets and jockeyed for the lead.  Geneseo looked to utilize its size, working the ball inside to take a three-point lead with 5:41 left on the clock.  An Oswego State timeout shortly thereafter seemed to ignite a spark in the Lakers, as they came out of the huddle a different team.  The home team found its groove late in the first half when Tayler Sorrell (Fr., Hannibal, N.Y.) drilled a three-pointer to tie the game at 19-19.  The Lakers took over in the final minutes, knocking down two more treys to end the half with 13 unanswered points.

When play resumed in the second half, Oswego State looked to maintain its first-half momentum, but Geneseo had other ideas as it began the stanza with a modest 5-0 run to cut the Laker lead to five with nearly 18 minutes of action remaining.  The home team continued to connect from downtown as moments later Kari Kipper (Sr., Loudonville, N.Y.) drained another three pointer to give the Lakers some breathing room.  Points seemed to come in threes for Oswego State, as seconds later Meagan Stover (Sr., Lake George, N.Y.) converted an old-fashioned three-point play to stretch the lead to nine.  Three possessions later, Kassie Kleine (Sr., Cazenovia, N.Y.) found an open Kipper, who buried another from behind the arc to give Oswego State its largest lead of the game at 38-26 with 15:39 left to play.

Despite the Lakers having the momentum, Geneseo scratched and clawed its way back into the game by playing strong defense and knocking down some timely jump shots.  The Blue Knights held Oswego State scoreless for nearly six minutes, while going on a 10-0 run to cut the deficit to two points.  The Lakers ended the scoring drought at 10:01 when Stover made good on another one-and-one opportunity.

Both teams battled to gain the upper hand as time wore on, but Geneseo ultimately took a one-point lead with 46 seconds to go following Shannon McGinnis sank two clutch free-throws.  Only 20 seconds later, the Lakers stormed back and reclaimed the lead as Stover delivered in the paint.  Geneseo resorted to fouling in an effort to conserve time, but the Lakers dashed any hopes of a late comeback, converting on all four attempts from the foul line in the closing seconds.

The Lakers hit 10 three-point field goals in the contest, amounting to more than half of their total points.  Stover led the way for the Lakers, scoring 15 points, while collecting eight rebounds and four steals.  Kipper also contributed 15 points, including three from downtown.  Geneseo was paced by Melissa Graham’s 14 points and four assists.

The Lakers return to action Friday when they take to the road to face the Buffalo State Bengals (10-8, 6-5 SUNYAC).