OSWEGO – Oswego County Legislature Chairman Kevin Gardner (District 13, New Haven) announced appointments to the County Legislature’s standing committees for 2016.
The seven committees oversee departments of county government and make budgetary and policy recommendations to the full Legislature.
The new standing committees are:
• Government, Courts and Consumer Affairs: David Holst (District 4, Williamstown) chairman, Richard Kline (District 12, Pennellville) vice chairman, Thomas Drumm (District 16, Oswego), Daniel Farfaglia (District 24, Fulton), Linda Lockwood (District 11, Volney), Roy Reehil (District 5, Constantia), and Terry Wilbur (District 21, Hannibal). The committee oversees the Board of Elections, Clerk of the Legislature, County Attorney’s Office, County Clerk’s Office, County Legislature, Office of the Chairman, Real Property Tax Service, and Weights and Measures Office, and meets at 10 a.m. on Mondays two weeks before the full Legislature meeting.
• Economic Development and Planning: Roy Reehil, chairman, Morris Sorbello (District 23, Granby) vice chairman, Shane Broadwell (District 17, Oswego), Shawn Doyle (District 3, Pulaski), Farfaglia, Daniel LeClair (District 8, Palermo, and Tim Stahl (District 20, Town of Oswego). The committee oversees the Department of Community Development, Tourism and Planning and several authorized agencies and meets at 2 p.m. on Monday two weeks before the Legislature’s full meeting.
• Public Safety: Linda Lockwood, chairwoman, Margaret Kastler (District 1, Sandy Creek), vice chairwoman, Frank Castiglia Jr. (District 25, Fulton), James Karasek (District 22, Granby), Kline, Jacob Mulcahey (District 15, Oswego), and Milferd Potter (District 2, Orwell). The committee oversees the District Attorney’s Office, E-911 Program, Emergency Management Office, Fire Coordinator’s Office, Probation Department and Sheriff’s Office. Meetings are held at 10 a.m. on the Tuesday two weeks before the full Legislature meeting.
• Infrastructure, Facilities and Technology: Robert Hayes (District 10, Phoenix), chairman, Stephen Walpole (District 14, Oswego), vice chairman, John Martino (District 6, Central Square), Mulcahey, Potter, Marie Schadt (District 19, Town of Oswego), and James Weatherup (District 9, Central Square). The committee is responsible for policies and legislation regarding the County Airport, Buildings and Grounds Department, Central Services, Energy Recovery Facility, and Highway and Solid Waste departments. The committee meets at 2 p.m. on the Tuesday two weeks before the Legislature meeting.
• Health: John Proud (District 7, Mexico), chairman, James Karasek, vice chairman, Castiglia, Heather DelConte (District 18, Oswego), Kastler, Sorbello, and Wilbur. The committee oversees the county Health Department. Meetings are held at 10 a.m. on the Wednesday two weeks before the full Legislature meeting.
• Human Services: Daniel LeClair, chairman, Shawn Doyle, vice chairman, Broadwell, DelConte, Drumm, Proud and Stahl. The committee oversees the Office for the Aging, Department of Social Services, Veterans’ Services, and Oswego City-County Youth Bureau, and meets at 2 p.m. on the Wednesday two weeks prior to the Legislature meeting.
• Finance and Personnel: Shane Broadwell, chairman, James Weatherup, vice chairman, Hayes, Holst, Martino, Schadt, and Walpole. The committee oversees the County Audit Office, County Administrator’s Office, Human Resources Department, County Treasurer’s Office, and Purchasing Department, and meets at 2 p.m. on the Tuesday one week before the full Legislature meeting.
The County Legislature is scheduled to meet at 2 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 11; 2 p.m. Thursday, March 10; 7 p.m. Thursday, April 14; 2 p.m. Thursday, May 12; 7 p.m. Thursday, June 9; 2 p.m. Thursday, July 14; 2 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 11 (H. Douglas Barclay Courthouse, Pulaski); 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 15; 2 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 13; 2 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 10; and 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 15.
Committee meetings and Legislature meetings are open to the public and are held in the County Office Building at 46 E. Bridge St., Oswego unless otherwise indicated.
Meeting agendas are posted on the county government website at http://www.oswegocounty.com/legislature/meetings/agenda.html
For more information, contact the Office of the Chairman of the County Legislature at 349-8230 or 1-800-596-3200, ext. 8230.