OSWEGO – The Oswego Public Library’s Library Learning Center will offer a free workshop on composing resumes and cover letters next month on June 10 from 2-4 p.m.
This class will go over how job-seekers can utilize free templates on Microsoft Word to create resumes for themselves, what kinds of information is crucial for a resume and a cover letter, and review online resources that are available for people looking for employment.
In addition to this workshop, the Library Learning Center will feature several additional classes in June:
• Search Engines and How to Use Them – June 1, 2-4 p.m.
• Internet Basics (Sessions #1 – #4) – June 5, 12, 19 and 16 from 10 a.m. – noon. These classes will go over general Internet browsing, access and safety.
• Microsoft Classes will also be held each Monday as well: Microsoft Word on June 5, Microsoft Excel on June 12, Microsoft PowerPoint on June 19 and Microsoft Publisher on June 26. These classes will be held from 2-4 p.m. and will provide patrons with an overview of the capabilities of the four core Microsoft programs.
• There will be several classes using different kinds of devices and technology: Apple iPhones on June 6; Apple iPads on June 13, Advanced Kindle Fire on June 20 and a general Touchscreen Devices class on June 27. These classes will be held from 2-4 p.m. These classes will go over different functions and capabilities of these different devices.
• Classes relating to the North Country Library System will also be available. These services and websites are available to all library card holders in the NCLS library system (as a note, Onondaga is under their own library system, but cardholders for that region are more than welcome to get a card through NCLS if they’re able to.)
These classes are as follows for June: Using Overdrive on June 7; Navigating NCLS Online on June 14; Navigating Universal Class online on June 21; Navigating ArtistWorks on June 28.
Overdrive is the program that allows people to borrow and download NCLS’s e-books onto their devices, so this class will show people how they can take out e-books and return them.
Universal Class is a free website via NCLS that allows people to obtain class credits in a large variety of fields, so this will be an overview of the different classes that are currently available to patrons.
ArtistWorks is a free website for NCLS cardholders as well that allows them to take a large variety of music lessons online in many different instruments, as well as vocal lessons.
The class relating to NCLS will show them where these and other free resources are available to them online as well, along with access to things like Consumer Reports and historical databases, ancestry.com, and so forth.
A class will be offered on navigating Facebook on June 8 from 2-4 p.m. which discusses how to maneuver through and use Facebook (posting, staying in contact with friends and family, etc.)
• Three classes will be offered on the components, upgrading and maintenance of personal computers in June: Internal Components of a Computer on June 15; Upgrading your PC on June 22; Computer Maintenance on June 29. These classes will all be offered from 2-4 p.m.
• Tech Help Open Lab will be offered on all Tuesdays and Thursdays throughout the month of June from 10 a.m. – noon, along with June 9 from 10 a.m. – noon and June 23 from 10 a.m. – noon. During these times, library patrons are welcome to visit the Library Learning Center with any technology concerns or questions that they have and will be helped on a first-come, first-serve basis.
The Library Learning Center is located on the lower level of the Oswego Public Library and is open Monday-Friday.
All programs are free and open to the public.
Please call the library at 341-5867 to register for workshops or if you have further questions.
Signup sheets are also available at the main desk for you to sign up for courses.
Courses should be signed-up for at least 24 hours in advance so that the technology instructor will know how many attendees are expected.