OSWEGO, NY – In April, the Oswego Public Library will be hosting its first “Looking @ Oswego County.”
The history of the town of Parish will be displayed on the main floor of the library until the end of April.
The town of Parish was part of Scriba Patent and became township 23.
Settlement began in 1803 when Reverend Gamaliel Barnes, a Baptist minister arrived with his son in-law, Stephen D. Morse.
By 1828 Parish had enough citizens to separate from its mother town of Mexico and was incorporated as a town on March 20.
Paul Allen was the first supervisor.
Bridget Swartz, Parish Town Historian, presented a copy of “Uphill Both Ways: an Oral History of
the County Schools of Parish” to Carol Ferlito, library director, which will be kept in the library’s local history room.