OSWEGO, N.Y. – Sophomore Haley Miller (Springwater, N.Y.) battled back from an 8-2 deficit in the third-set supertiebreaker to win at fifth singles and give the Oswego State women’s tennis team (3-8) a 5-4 win over St. John Fisher (1-8) on Wednesday.
The duo of Kelly Corwin (Sr., Rochester, N.Y.) and Olivia Knierman (So., Fulton, N.Y.) recorded the first win of the day for the Laker with an 8-4 decision at third doubles. Sophomores Lauren Stall (Williamsville, N.Y.) and Hannah Rawlings (Ithaca, N.Y.) shot out to an early 5-1 lead at the second flight, and held on for an 8-6 triumph.
Leading 2-1, the Lakers needed three singles points to secure the win.
Corwin and Paige Edgar (Fr., New Hamburg, N.Y.) both took care of business at fourth and sixth singles respectively, only dropping one game between the two of them.
With losses at the top two positions, the Lakers needed a win from Rawlings or Miller for the overall win. Rawlings fought back from a 4-1 deficit in the second set to force a tiebreak, but ultimately lost 8-6 in the breaker.
Miller won a close first set, 6-4, and led 3-1 in the second-set tiebreaker before surrendering 12 straight points. She trailed 6-0 in the supertiebreaker deciding the match before splitting the next four points to trail 8-2.
With darkness on the horizon, Miller calmly rattled off eight straight points to win 10-8 and earn the Lakers their second straight victory. It was the second time this season Miller has broken a 4-4 tie to give the Lakers a win.
Oswego State takes its two-match winning streak into the State University of New York Athletic Conference Championships, where they will face top-seeded New Paltz on Friday at 3 p.m. in Binghamton.
1. Kathryn Pasier (FISHER) def. Nicole Leader (OSWW) 6-1, 6-3
2. Jennifer Lehner (FISHER) def. Lauren Stall (OSWW) 6-3, 6-3
3. Lauren Burke (FISHER) def. Hannah Rawlings (OSWW) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Kelly Corwin (OSWW) def. Alyssa LaRocca (FISHER) 6-0, 6-0
5. Haley Miller (OSWW) def. Alissa Cornacchia (FISHER) 6-4, 6-7 (3-7), 1-0 (10-8)
6. Paige Edgar (OSWW) def. Taylor Duquette (FISHER) 6-1, 6-0
1. Kathryn Pasier/Jennifer Lehner (FISHER) def. Nicole Leader/Kelsey Wilson (OSWW) 8-1
2. Lauren Stall/Hannah Rawlings (OSWW) def. Lauren Burke/Alyssa LaRocca (FISHER) 8-6
3. Kelly Corwin/Olivia Knierman (OSWW) def. Alissa Cornacchia/Taylor Duquette (FISHER) 8-4