MINETTO, NY – Happy birthday, Minetto!
Magic in Minetto will celebrate the town’s 100th year with a fun, family-friendly festival.
The Aug. 13 celebration will take place at the Minetto Town Hall and River View Park along the Oswego River from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Inside the Minetto Town Hall will be a free ice cream social, special stamp cancellation from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. by Minetto Post Office, featuring “Minetto Celebrating 100 Years.”
Minetto History Buffs will have displays and photos of Minetto in years gone-by.
Magic will be kicked off on Aug. 12, at 7 p.m. with the Oswego County New Horizons Band and Chorus concert at the Minetto United Methodist Church.
Magic in Minetto recognizes its history and association with the Oswego Canal and River by hosting its annual event during New York State’s Canal Splash Weekend.
To promote the recreational use of the canal and river, a canoe and kayak race and pace will be held during the festival.
The race and pace begins at 1 p.m. is 1.5 miles in length and designed to be fun and have both youths and adults enter and enjoy the event.
For the canoe/kayak race and pace, registration and waiver forms can be obtained at Minetto Town Hall and at registration the day of the race.
For more information or questions on Magic in Minetto or the race and pace call 343-4565.
Check out some photos of Minetto’s past:
The Brosemer Brewery 1885. Was located adjacent to what is now Route 48 and the Oswego River Canal. Built during Civil War era in early 1860s. Brosemers built a new brewery 1888-1889. Now the site of Seaway Supply Apartments.
Construction of new barge canal, lock number 5, at Minetto. Circa 1915. The only lock located on the west side of the Oswego Barge Canal system.
At River View Park. Old Home Days 1937, sponsored by the Minetto Methodist Church. Note the diving board, cement block is still there. The footing for the diving board is still in place, hidden in the brush at the south end of the park.
Girder bridge collapsed in 1909. Th esuspension bridge replaced it. Looking east across Minetto steel bridge. The sign states there will be a $10 fine for driving or riding on the bridge faster than a walk. Note the trolley on the east shore.
View looking (west) across the Oswego River at Minetto. Old lock 13 and canal in foreground.
Barge canal construction under way in Minetto circa 1912. The state barge canal system officially opened in 1918.
A packet boat made into a tour boat at Minetto in the early 1900s.
Lodging and resturant on the west side of the river. Circa late 1800s. The DuBois Hotel – 1816 – 2008.
A packet boat on the Oswego Canal in Minetto, just north of dam and old Minetto Lock No. 13, around 1850. Notice how the canal is separate from the Oswego River.
The modern Minetto Bridge
Lock No. 13, east side, north of the dam in Minetto around 1895. Note the trolley tracks above canal lock.
There was the DuBois Hotel on the west side, where Stewarts is now, and the Wells Hotel on the east side Seneca Hill, north of the present bridge. If you drive slowly on 48 looking across, just north of the lock, you will see the remnants of the stone abutment wall on the eastside. There was a second trolley, short line, that went along the east side to the Wells. The west side trolley is more well known, going between Oswego & Syracuse.
Schillner 1898 Canal map. Note, Lock No. 13 is on the east side.
Joseph Natoli, 1937, in a kayak