Lest you think our new Governor is just a nice guy, maybe too nice, here are a couple of things to consider:
And then there’s this: The Gov’s collegial tone will not survive attempts to upstage him, as the Republican who runs the State Assembly’s minority caucus found out:
“Those that think he’s a pushover should hold onto their hats. Because you don’t want that kind of run-in,” said Senate Democratic floor leader Malcolm Smith.
The New York Times takes a look at the year just ended in Albany, one of the wildest ever.
And this final thought, on why Joe Bruno’s retirement isn’t just bad news for Republicans — it might be bad news for all of Upstate NY, for the first time in 230 years.
- Education-related bills dominated the final days of the legislative season.
- And this look at a whole bunch of little stuff approved by the Leg, including sanitizing silverware, banning yo-yo balls, and making it a crime to disrupt a funeral.
Speaking Of Which:
The bizarre gets more so downstate, where the guy who was gonna run for an open seat in Congress, and for a while was gonna have to run against his own, identically named son, died. Guess what happened at the funeral?
- The property tax cap now has a home to call its own.
- A claim that ex-Gov. “Socks” Spitzer was protected from Troopergate charges before the state Public Integrity Commission….by the head of the state Public Integrity Commission.
- A claim that a task force to clean up medical malpractice was a sham.
- A claim that if Democrats win, they will really lose.
- And an ex-Gov gets the back-of-the-hand treatment, and it’s not Spitzer.
Even Beano Won’t Help These Gas Pains:
- Vacations this year will be closer to home, but you probably already knew that. There’s even a stupid name for it: Staycations.
- (Speaking of which, if you’re heading to Darien Lake to swim, check before you go.)
- One Congressman gets a free fill-up, and not of gas, but about it.
- And there’s a land rush on because there’s gas in them thar rocks.
Apropos Of Not Very Much:
- Isn’t a healthy cannoli a contradiction in terms as well as taste?
- Parts is parts? No. Parts is prison.
- A wounded soldier gets a new home.
- A trip to Auburn this week may yield you a moment of baseball history s well as a nice night out in a good ballpark.
Live long and prosper, and if there’s anything we’ve missed, use the hailing frequency below (okay, the comments) to drop us a line. It’s lonely here in space….