FULTON – At a public hearing held on October 20, the Fulton City Council announced the winning bid in the demolition of the former Nestles property.
Infinity Enterprises submitted the winning bid, offering to do all the demolition work for no cost to the city, only salvage rights to everything on the property.
“They are working for the repurposing value of anything on that property, they have sole salvage rights,” said Fulton Mayor Ronald Woodward, Sr.
Infinity Enterprises will begin working to demolish and salvage a large majority of the 24-acre lot that remains of the former Nestles site bordered by South Fourth Street, Fay Street, South Seventh Street and Burt Street.
The other bid on the job came in at more than $2 million not including prevailing wages, and more than $3 million including prevailing wages.
The demolition comes with hope that prospected buyers will find more interest in the site.
Aldi has previously shown interest in a portion of the area and many residents are hopeful that the supermarket chain will soon find its way to Fulton.
However, Aldi is not the only addition that the former Nestles site has the potential to hold.
“Aldi is still interested in the site,” said Woodward. “They are only talking about using 2 acres of the entire 24 acre lot.”
While that leaves a lot of site left unused, Woodward ensures that there are other interested parties whose names can not be released yet.
Previously, the city had sold Building #30 and the connected parking lot to Gary E. Spring of Spring Storage Park for $100,000.
The council also addressed a zone change for these properties from a M-1 manufacturing property to a C-2 commercial property to accommodate the owner’s plans of running a U-Haul business and warehousing.