OSWEGO, NY – Drivers can now obtain New York StateÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s enhanced driverÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s license at Oswego CountyÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s branch DMV offices in Oswego, Fulton and Pulaski.
The enhanced driverÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s license (EDL) will allow travelers to cross the U.S. border by land or sea into Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda without a passport, according to Oswego County Clerk George J. Williams. Enhanced driverÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s license cannot be used for air travel.
Like a driverÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s license, the enhanced driverÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s license is valid for eight years. However, drivers donÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t have to wait until their license expires to get the EDL. They can switch over at any time.
Williams said the EDL is considered as secure a form of identification as a passport for travelers.
ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œThe new enhanced driverÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s license is compliant with the federal governmentÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative,ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â said Williams. ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œIt can be used instead of a passport at U.S. land and sea border crossings. For people who travel frequently into Canada, it offers a
Drivers need to show proof of citizenship and proof of identity in order to be eligible. Proof of citizenship may include a valid U.S. passport, an original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship, or a U.S. Department of State report of birth abroad.Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â Drivers also need to bring their current New York State photo driverÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s license, their social security card, and proof of New York State residency.
Any two of the following documents will be accepted as proof of New York State residency:
- medical examinerÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s certificate with NYS address and signature issued within one year;
- voter registration notification card issued within one year;
- property deed;
- residential lease issued within one year; proof of current mortgage;
- property or school tax bills or receipts for the current year;
- federal or NYS income tax W-2 (with social security number) issued within one year;
- annual social security statement for the current year;
- selective service card;
- jury duty notice issued within one year;
- current proof of homeowners or renters insurance;
- NYS pistol permit;
- NYS professional license;
- NY certificate of title;
- photo college ID with transcript issued within one year;
- report card with photo ID;
- current proof of health insurance coverage;
- federal or NYS income tax or earning statement (form 1099 or 1098);
- unemployment benefit statement issued within one year;
- welfare benefit statement;
- SSI award statement;
- assisted living or nursing home statement;
- retirement statement;
- original credit card statement on letterhead issued within 120 days;
- military orders that are still in effect;
- bank statement issued within 120 days;
- cancelled check with preprinted named and address issued within120 days;
- computer printed pay stub with name and address issued within 120 days;
- life insurance policy or current statement issued within 120 days;
- or utility bill with name and address, issued within 120 days.
The charge for an EDL will range from $40 to $80, depending on the type of driverÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s license transaction.
For more information, contact the Oswego County DMV offices at 384 E. River Road, Oswego, phone 349-8300; 200 N. Second St., Fulton, phone 591-9136; Barclay Courthouse, Broad Street, Pulaski, phone 298-6521; or visit the NYS DMV Web site.