New Enhanced Licenses Available at County DMV Offices

OSWEGO, NY – Drivers can now obtain New York State’s enhanced driver’s license at Oswego County’s branch DMV offices in Oswego, Fulton and Pulaski.

The enhanced driver’s license (EDL) will allow travelers to cross the U.S. border by land or sea into Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda without a passport, according to Oswego County Clerk George J. Williams. Enhanced driver’s license cannot be used for air travel.

Oswego County Clerk George J. Williams applied for a new enhanced driver’s license this week. The new licenses offer a convenient option for people driving into Canada and back to the U.S. Pictured are Williams, motor vehicle clerk Robin Davis, and Colleen Bacon, Supervisor of Motor Vehicles.

Like a driver’s license, the enhanced driver’s license is valid for eight years. However, drivers don’t have to wait until their license expires to get the EDL. They can switch over at any time.

Williams said the EDL is considered as secure a form of identification as a passport for travelers.

“The new enhanced driver’s license is compliant with the federal government’s Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative,” said Williams. “It can be used instead of a passport at U.S. land and sea border crossings. For people who travel frequently into Canada, it offers a
convenient option.”

Drivers need to show proof of citizenship and proof of identity in order to be eligible. Proof of citizenship may include a valid U.S. passport, an original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship, or a U.S. Department of State report of birth abroad.  Drivers also need to bring their current New York State photo driver’s license, their social security card, and proof of New York State residency.

Any two of the following documents will be accepted as proof of New York State residency:

  • medical examiner’s certificate with NYS address and signature issued within one year;
  • voter registration notification card issued within one year;
  • property deed;
  • residential lease issued within one year; proof of current mortgage;
  • property or school tax bills or receipts for the current year;
  • federal or NYS income tax W-2 (with social security number) issued within one year;
  • annual social security statement for the current year;
  • selective service card;
  • jury duty notice issued within one year;
  • current proof of homeowners or renters insurance;
  • NYS pistol permit;
  • NYS professional license;
  • NY certificate of title;
  • photo college ID with transcript issued within one year;
  • report card with photo ID;
  • current proof of health insurance coverage;
  • federal or NYS income tax or earning statement (form 1099 or 1098);
  • unemployment benefit statement issued within one year;
  • welfare benefit statement;
  • SSI award statement;
  • assisted living or nursing home statement;
  • retirement statement;
  • original credit card statement on letterhead issued within 120 days;
  • military orders that are still in effect;
  • bank statement issued within 120 days;
  • cancelled check with preprinted named and address issued within120 days;
  • computer printed pay stub with name and address issued within 120 days;
  • life insurance policy or current statement issued within 120 days;
  • or utility bill with name and address, issued within 120 days.

The charge for an EDL will range from $40 to $80, depending on the type of driver’s license transaction.

For more information, contact the Oswego County DMV offices at 384 E. River Road, Oswego, phone 349-8300; 200 N. Second St., Fulton, phone 591-9136; Barclay Courthouse, Broad Street, Pulaski, phone 298-6521; or visit the NYS DMV Web site.