OSWEGO, NY – Thursday (November 3), Oswego County Opportunities invites community members to join them for an evening of food, beer and wine sampling and music that not only celebrates the agency’s 50th Anniversary, but more importantly, will benefit homeless youth in Oswego County.
Included among the more than 60 human services that OCO offers is its Homeless and Runaway Youth Shelter.
The only program of its kind in the county OCO’s Homeless and Runaway Youth Shelter serves to stabilize households by preventing homelessness and facilitating the transition from homelessness to permanent housing.
It provides a vital resource that serves dozens of youth each year.
With the announcement that OCO recently lost funding for its Homeless and Runaway Youth Shelter, all funds from OCO’s “Giving Thanks for 50 Years” celebration will be used to support the shelter.
“The realization that you are homeless, through no fault of your own, or being forced to run away from an unbearable situation can be a traumatic experience for a young person. Our Homeless and Runway Youth Shelter gives these young people somewhere to turn to where they can receive the support they need so desperately,” said OCO Executive Director Diane Cooper-Currier. “That’s why we have chosen to dedicate the funds from our ‘Giving Thanks for 50 Years’ celebration to support our Homeless and Runaway Youth Shelter.”
Taking place from 5:30 to 9 p.m. at the Lake Ontario Convention Center, East First Street in Oswego, the celebration will feature seasonal dishes prepared by the finest local restaurants.
Several food stations throughout the venue will offer range of delicacies, each paired with a complimentary craft beer or wine.
Food stations and parings include:
– Blue Moon Grill Harvest Salad and Eis House butternut squash bisque paired with either Il Principle Chianti or Ommegang Game of Thrones Seven Kingdoms craft beer
– Mimi’s turkey roll-ups with stuffing and gravy and La Parrilla roasted potatoes paired with New Belgium Fat Tire or Brownstone Pinot Noir
– Canale’s Utica Greens and Press Box macaroni and cheese paired with Goose Island IPA or Lonely Cow Sauvignon Blanc.
– Roasted turkey sliders with cranberry relish from the Lake Ontario Convention Center paired with Ithaca Hellish lager or Copa de Vino Riesling.
– Ontario Orchards apple pies and CiTi Culinary Arts quick breads paired with Appledale Orchards cider or McKenzies Seasonal Reserve cider
– Harvest biscuits from OCO’s Nutrition Services, sliced apples from Country Fresh Foods, cheddar cheese from Colosse Cheese, and ginger thins paired with Brownstone Chardonnay or Grosse 4 Star Pilsner.
Entertainment for the evening will be The Cortini Brothers.
Tickets for OCO’s “Giving Thanks for 50 Years” are $30 per person and include food, refreshments and wine and beer tastings.
Tickets will be available at the door or may be purchased online at www.oco50th.com.
“Please join us this evening for a wonderful evening for a wonderful cause; providing much needed shelter and support to homeless and runaway youth in Oswego County,” Cooper-Currier said.