;

OFD Offers Safe Heating Tips

OSWEGO, NY – With the home heating season upon us, the Oswego Fire Department would like to remind residents of the importance of home heating safety.

As you might expect, half of all home heating fires occur in December, January and February.

Also, half of home heating fire deaths were caused by fires that started because portable heating equipment was placed too close to things that could burn, such as upholstered furniture, clothing and mattresses or bedding.

Petroleum-fueled heating devices, particularly space heaters such as kerosene heaters, pose a higher risk of death due to carbon monoxide poisoning, known as the “silent killer,” than other heating equipment.

The Oswego Fire Department suggests the following:

Keep or maintain at least a three-foot clearance between all heating equipment and anything that can burn.

Do not use your oven to heat your home,

Inspect and maintain heating equipment regularly for safety.

Portable space heaters should be turned off every time you leave the room and before you go to bed.

Make sure your fireplace has a sturdy screen to prevent sparks from flying into the room. Allow all ashes to cool before disposing in metal container.

Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area, and on every level of your home.  Test smoke alarms monthly.

Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home.

Supervise children near fireplaces, wood stoves and space heaters.

Be sure all vents and chimney’s are clean and properly functioning.

Do not overload electrical outlets.

The cold weather home heating has arrived. Please keep these suggestions in mind throughout the winter and as always consider those neighbors, friends and relatives who may not have the means to take care of these things on their own.

Any questions, please call the Oswego Fire Department at 343-2161.