OSWEGO, NY – With our residents working to dig out this morning after the first significant snowfall of the season, we wanted to offer some safety tips to keep everyone safe.
With the increased snowfall, snow accumulations can cover furnace or water heater vents, and can cause a deadly buildup of Carbon Monoxide gas in the home.
All homes should have working Carbon Monoxide alarms on every level of the home.
If your alarm activates, it is best to evacuate the home and call 911 to allow us to check the air quality to ensure it is safe.
Before starting your vehicles, take a minute to clear the exhaust of snow and ice.
A blocked tailpipe can also fill a vehicle with deadly Carbon Monoxide gas.
This is especially dangerous as vehicles are not typically protected with CO alarms, so a person can find themselves in a dire situation very quickly.
Signs and symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, and confusion before becoming unresponsive.
Never leave a fuel powered engine or vehicle running in an enclosed area such as a garage or basement, even with the door open!
Take it easy when removing snow.
Each year, many people suffer heart attacks or strokes while shoveling or running a snowblower.
Our arteries constrict when body temperature drops, which reduces blood supply to vital organs, and can exacerbate a cardiac event.
If you experience chest pain, heaviness, or dizziness, call 911.
The temperatures are expected to drop here in Oswego over the next few days. Residents are reminded to only use approved appliances to heat the home.
Use caution when using space heaters, wood stoves, and fireplaces.
Plug portable heaters directly into a dedicated outlet, do not use extension cords.
Our personnel will be out removing snow from fire hydrants, but with more than 800 of them in the city this is a challenging task.
Our community does a great job pitching in to clear hydrants, and we thank them.
If you see a hydrant that needs clearing, please call (315) 343-2161.