Oswego Bows Out Of The Postseason

Lewiston, Maine – The Oswego State men’s ice hockey team ended its postseason run with a close 2-1 loss to University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point in the 2014 NCAA Division III national semifinals on Friday night in the Androscoggin Bank Colisee. With the loss, Oswego finishes the season 22-7-2 while the Pointers improve to 22-5-2 and advance to Saturday’s championship game to face the nation’s No. 1 team, St. Norbert’s.

Despite outshooting Stevens Point 46-31 in the game, and 33-13 over the final two periods, the Lakers were unable to capitalize with a goal.

Oswego got on the board in first with a goal from Shawn Hulshof at 10:11 in the opening period. Hulshof set himself up on the play, feeding David Titanic from the Lakers’ defensive zone before going out on the break. Titanic skated in towards the Pointers’ goaltender and found his teammate charging to the left post, putting the puck on his stick as Hulshof buried the goal.

The lead would hold for the next nine minutes until Stevens Point evened the game with a goal at 19:00. Matt Zawadzkimade two great saves as the Pointers scrapped in front of the net but Kyle Sharkey was able to left the puck over the goaltender after Zawadzki made a stop from his stomach.

In the second period, Oswego had some of its best opportunities, creating a few breakaway chances that led to even better opportunities on the rebound. The Lakers more than doubled-up the Pointers on shots in the period as well (15-7), but Stevens Point would strike the deciding blow.

At 15:24, Chris Waterstreet was whistled for tripping and headed to the penalty box to serve two minutes. The Pointers took advantage of the power-play, as Joe Kalisz beat Zawadzki and the clock, scoring with just :23 left on the advantage.

Oswego drew two early penalties in the opening moments of the final period, earning a 5-on-3 situation. Much like the second period, the Lakers found some great looks but were unable to put it past the Pointers to even the score.

Zawadzki played an outstanding game in net, keeping the Lakers close throughout the 60 minutes, making 29 saves on the night.

It was the Lakers’ fifth-straight appearance in the Frozen Four and their 15th NCAA appearance overall.