PULASKI – The Oswego County Health Department will hold a rabies clinic for cats, dogs, and pet ferrets from 6 to 8 p.m. May 7, at the Oswego County Highway Garage, 957 Centerville Road.
“Immunizing pets is an effective way to reduce the risk of human exposure to rabies,” said Jiancheng Huang, Oswego County Public Health Director.
New York State law requires that all cats, dogs, and pet ferrets be vaccinated against rabies.
The first rabies vaccine should be given at three months of age.
A second vaccination is required for cats and dogs within one year of the first, and every three years thereafter.
Ferrets need to be vaccinated annually.
In order for pets to receive the 3-year booster shot, owners need to show that the pet was previously vaccinated and should bring their pet’s last rabies vaccination certificate to the clinic.
The following rabies clinics are scheduled for 2014:
• Pulaski: May 7, 6 to 8 p.m., County Highway Garage, 957 Centerville Road.
• West Monroe: June 4, 6 to 8 p.m., Town Highway Garage, 46 County Route. 11.
• Parish: July 9, 6 to 8 p.m., County Highway Garage, 24 Dill Pickle Alley.
• Volney: Aug. 6, 6 to 8 p.m., Bristol Hill Landfill, state Route 3.
• Hannibal: Sept. 10, 6 to 8 p.m., Town Highway Garage, 68 Cemetery Drive.
• Pulaski: Oct. 8, 6 to 8 p.m., County Highway Garage, 957 Centerville Road.
• Scriba: Nov. 5, 6 to 8 p.m., County Highway Garage, 31 Schaad Drive.
The health department suggests a $5 donation per animal to help cover the cost of the rabies clinics, but no one will be turned away.
Dogs should be leashed and cats and pet ferrets should be in a cage.
Any time a person or pet comes in physical contact with a bat or wild animal, especially a sick or suspicious-acting animal, the incident should be immediately reported to the County Health Department.
To report a possible exposure, or for more information about rabies, call the Health Department weekdays at 349-3564 or 1-800-596-3200, ext. 3564.
In an emergency during evenings, weekends, or holidays, call the health department’s answering service at 341-0086.