Go to ...
RSS Feed

September 24, 2018

Oswego Fire Department responds to structure fire at 287 Cherry St.


OSWEGO, NY – At 10:51 p.m. on Saturday, Oswego County 911 dispatched the Oswego City Fire Department to 287 Cherry St. for a fire in an upstairs apartment with “smoke and flames showing.”

Upon arrival, fire crews found the upper floor of the two-family home heavily charged with fire and smoke.

Deputy Chief Jack Crouse confirmed that all occupants had safely exited the building before firefighters arrived.

Crouse stated that crews advanced hose lines from the rear of the building to extinguish the fire.

It took about 30 minutes to bring the fire under control.

A cat and dog belonging to the upstairs tenants perished in the fire, and were found by firefighters during overhaul operations.

Fire investigators from the Oswego Fire Department and Oswego Police Department determined that the fire was caused accidentally by unattended cooking.

There was heavy fire, smoke and water damage throughout the structure.

The building is owned by Jeff Flint of Oswego.

Three occupants of the building were displaced by the fire, and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Assistant Fire Chief Don Dowd said that the fire department’s RIT Team responded to the scene, and an off-duty shift was called in to cover the city while the duty crew was at the fire scene.

He also thanked the OPD for assistance with the fire investigation and traffic control.

Menter Ambulance provided EMS coverage for firefighters at the scene, as the OFD’s main ambulance was on a call when the fire was first reported.

One Response “Oswego Fire Department responds to structure fire at 287 Cherry St.”

  1. January 19, 2014 at 12:18 pm

    Glade everybody is safe that’s the main thing but sorry about your animal’s. Great job to the Fireman.

More Stories From Oswego Daily News

%d bloggers like this: