Go to ...
RSS Feed

September 22, 2018

Oswego Fire Department Responds to Structure Fire


OSWEGO, NY – Emergency personnel responded to Oswego’s west side Saturday night for a reported structure fire.

The incident was reported to Oswego County 911 around 8:30 p.m. as a kitchen fire at 97 W. Seneca St.

Firefighters respond to west side fire.

Firefighters respond to west side fire.

As the Oswego Fire Department arrived minutes later, they reported a smoke condition in the two-story home with an active fire in the kitchen.

OFD crews pulled a hose line and made quick work of the blaze, which had started on the stove top and extended to the cabinets and ceiling above.

After the initial knock-down, firefighters had to pull ceiling material to expose fire that had spread.

Fire officials declared the fire under control minutes later, with damage limited to the kitchen area.

Firefighters remained on the scene for nearly an hour ventilating smoke from the structure.

One person was reportedly treated on the scene for smoke inhalation.

The Oswego Police Department assisted at the scene with traffic control.

The Oswego Fire Department wants to remind residents to be careful when cooking.

According to the United States Fire Administration, cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries.

Do not attempt to carry a pan outside that is on fire, as the fire can flare up and ignite clothing.

Keep a lid nearby to smother small grease fires.

For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.

The best option is to evacuate the house, close the door to contain the fire and call 911.

More Stories From Oswego Daily News

%d bloggers like this: