OSWEGO, NY – The Oswego Fire Department was dispatched at 1:07 p.m. today (June 17) to a fire alarm system activation at the Morningstar Residential Care Facility, located at 17 Sunrise Drive on the west side of Oswego.
Once OFD personnel arrived on the scene a couple of minutes later, they were updated by staff members stating there was a fire in a kitchenette area.
Staff members reported smelling smoke and finding the fire in a kitchenette area on a stove top.
The stove had inadvertently been turned on, igniting nearby combustible materials.
As the area was filling with smoke, a fast-acting staff member doused the flames with a fire extinguisher.
OFD personnel reported that the fire was out on their arrival and they went to work checking for fire extension, ventilating smoke, and checking on staff and residents.
According to OFD officials on the scene, residents in the immediate area of the fire were moved to an area of safety and refuge in another wing of the facility separated by fire doors.
Other residents were sheltered in place.
OFD Captain Dave McCullough said, “The staff at Morningstar should be commended on how effectively they handled this emergency situation. They acted quickly to put the fire out and moved residents to safe areas of the building.”
One resident suffered a minor injury during the emergency, and was transported to the Oswego Hospital for evaluation.
The fire was confined to the stove top area of the kitchenette.
OFD units were back in service by 2 p.m.