Oswego State men’s lacrosse denied by St. John Fisher

OSWEGO, N.Y. – Cody Hoose’s (Fr., Syracuse, N.Y.) point-blank shot was denied with less than five seconds remaining on the clock to keep the contest from extra frames, as the Oswego State men’s lacrosse team (8-4) lost to St. John Fisher (9-3), 6-5, Wednesday afternoon at South Athletic Field.

The Lakers gained possession with 1:38 left in regulation after Hoose scooped up a ground ball that sailed out of the St. John Fisher offensive zone. Oswego State head coach Ryan Martin called timeout with 46.7 seconds to play to set up the offense.

Cardinal goalie Jamie Campagna stopped a shot by Britt Leone (Sr., Schenectady, N.Y.), but the Lakers retained the ball with enough time to set up a quick shot. Casey Balzer (Jr., Nassau, N.Y.) carried the ball from the far sideline towards the cage as time was expiring. He connected with Hoose, who was cutting towards the goal, but Campagna made the pivotal save on the one-timed shot and sent the ball into Oswego State territory as time expired.

Chris Porten (So., Auburn, N.Y.) put the Lakers on the board five minutes into the contest with his 18th goal of the season before Britt Leone (Sr., Schenectady, N.Y.) scored the first of two Oswego State man-up goals on the day with 4:36 left in the stanza. However, Mike Byrnes and Connor Henderson posted goals for St. John Fisher near the end of the quarter to even the score at 2-2 heading into the second quarter.

The Cardinals controlled play for the bulk of the quarter, but Laker goalie Ian O’Brien (Sr., Saratoga Springs, N.Y.) was up to the challenge stopping eight shots with Kyle Denhoff and Greg Ramsden bookending the frame with goals. St. John Fisher took a 4-2 lead into halftime.

Denhoff tacked on another Cardinal goal in the opening minute of the third quarter, but Oswego State had possession for the bulk of the frame. Porten put a shot on Campagna, who made the save, but was unable to control the ball. Porten stuck with the play before swatting the ball over the Hoose near the far post. Hoose picked up the ball, and buried it into the open net to make it a two-goal game again.

The Lakers cut the deficit in half just over two minutes into the fourth quarter when Hoose found Leone cutting towards the cage for his 15th marker of the season. However, Mitch Ritchie scored on a similar play with five minutes to play to put St. John Fisher ahead 6-4.

Oswego State pulled to within one goal again by capitalizing on a Cardinal slashing penalty. Connor Khammar (Fr., Camillus, N.Y.) swung the ball around the horn to Matt Palmer (Fr., Pittsford, N.Y.), who ripped a shot into the back of the cage with 2:40 to play.

St. John Fisher won the ensuing face-off with a chance to wind down the clock, but an errant pass from behind the cage sailed to midfield where Hoose won the battle for the loose ball to set up the late game drama.

Both goalies played exceptionally well, as Campagna recorded 17 stops. Ian O’Brien made numerous high-quality saves to keep Oswego State in the game in the first half before finishing with 15.

In a clean game, the Lakers went 2-for-4 in man-up situations, while the Cardinals were denied on their lone chance. St. John Fisher dominated face-offs as Ryan Freije was 12-for-15.

The Lakers face Oneonta on Saturday in a 1 p.m. tilt.