ALFRED, N.Y. – The Oswego State women’s tennis team (1-6) posted its first victory of the season by defeating Alfred (4-5), 5-4, on Saturday afternoon. The Lakers held a 2-1 lead to start singles competition and held off the Saxons with wins at the No. 1, 4, and 5 slots.
Nicole Leader (Jr., Baldwinsville, N.Y.) and Kelsey Wilson (Fr., Cicero, N.Y.) set the tone for Oswego State at No. 1 doubles when they posted an 8-2 win. Sophomores Hannah Rawlings (Ithaca, N.Y.) and Lauren Stall (Williamsville, N.Y.) earned a late service break to give the Lakers a 9-7 victory at second doubles.
Singles play featured three tiebreakers showing how tight the match was. Kelly Corwin (Sr., Rochester, N.Y.) and Haley Miller (So., Springwater, N.Y.) brought Oswego State to within one point of the match at fourth and fifth singles, respectively. Corwin defeated Cady Spencer, 6-2, 6-0, while Miller knocked off Emily Eisenberg in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. Leader edged out Emma Jackson, 7-3, in a first-set tiebreaker, and sealed the team victory by winning the second set, 6-2.
Oswego State returns to league play on Monday when it hosts Brockport at 4 p.m.
1. Nicole Leader (OSWW) def. Emma Jackson (ALFRED) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
2. Brennan Ferguson (ALFRED) def. Lauren Stall (OSWW) 7-6 (7-4), 7-5
3. Kaitlin Flaherty (ALFRED) def. Hannah Rawlings (OSWW) 6-2, 6-1
4. Kelly Corwin (OSWW) def. Catherine Spencer (ALFRED) 6-2, 6-0
5. Haley Miller (OSWW) def. Emily Eisenberg (ALFRED) 6-2, 6-2
6. Rebecca Switzer (ALFRED) def. Kelsey Wilson (OSWW) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
1. Nicole Leader/Kelsey Wilson (OSWW) def. Emma Jackson/Brennan Ferguson (ALFRED) 8-2
2. Hannah Rawlings/Lauren Stall (OSWW) def. Emily Eisenberg/Catherine Spencer (ALFRED) 9-7
3. Melissa Boyer/Kaitlin Flaherty (ALFRED) def. Kelly Corwin/Olivia Knierman (OSWW) 8-5