Today is Halloween and safety is always the most important thing when it comes to having a fun Halloween night. Fulton Police recommend “Trick or Treating” to be done from 6:00 until 8:00 p.m. and remind parents and children to only approach residences which have an outdoor or porch light on.
Parents, children and motorists are reminded to follow some basic safety tips so that Halloween can be fun and safe for everyone.
- Adults should accompany children while Trick or Treating and should never lose sight of them.
- Children are encouraged to carry a glow stick or wear reflective clothing so that they are more visible.
- They should try to limit the need for crossing the street and use sidewalks when available.
- Costumes should fit properly to avoid falls and when wearing a mask as part of a costume make sure the child can see and breathe properly.
- Motorists need to keep in mind that children are going to be excited and may not always follow proper safety rules.
- When approaching pedestrians slow down, be cautious and anticipate the potential for a child to move in unpredictable ways.
- As always, drivers are reminded to reduce distractions inside the car and concentrate on the road and your surroundings.
For more safety tips please visit the Fulton Police Department’s web site at www.fultonpd.com and www.safekids.org. For general traffic safety information visit www.safeny.com.